[ecrea] Participate in journalism ethics conference May 1, wherever you are!

Thu Apr 30 13:52:05 GMT 2009

Dear friends: If you 'do' journalism, or teach journalism, or are just interested in ethics, I invite you, tomorrow, to follow "The Future of Ethical Journalism" on your laptops! Because travel is expensive and seats limited, we have built substantial ways for people to participate digitally.

This is the first annual journalism ethics conference for the Center for Journalism Ethics at the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at UW-Madison.

The conference will be streamed live to <http://www.journalismethics.info>www.journalismethics.info starting at about 8:45 a.m. Central and continue to 5 p.m. Central.

On the site, Friday morning, you will see links that will allow you to participate in:

1. live-blogging via CoveritLive, to read posts of insights from the conference, comment on them and ask questions
2. a Twitter thread for microblogging updates, #uwethics
3. a blog for more thematic posts and comments, during and after the conference
4. streaming and archived video
Panelists and moderators are local, national and international journalists and scholars.

The sessions are:
SESSION 1    9 a.m. - 10:25 a.m.
Surviving the Media Carnage: Pathways to Good Journalism

SESSION 2    10:35 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Ethical Situationals: Tough Calls in the Newsroom

SESSION 3    1:05 p.m. - 2 p.m.
Media Accountability: A Dialogue with the Public Editor of the New York Times

SESSION 4    2:05 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
The Future of Investigative Journalism

SESSION 5     3:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
New Media, Ethics and Democratic Journalism

I hope you'll participate and encourage your students to do so. I'm looking forward to a robust exchange.

Stephen J. A. Ward
James E. Burgess Professor of Journalism Ethics
Director, Center for Journalism Ethics
School of Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Wisconsin-Madison