Archive for calls, October 2009

[ecrea] 9th International Conference on Organizational Discourse: Crises, Corruption, Character and Change

Sat Oct 24 18:05:51 GMT 2009

CfP call for paper
conference
9th International Conference on Organizational Discourse: Crises, Corruption, Character and Change
14.07.10-16.07.10
The VU, Amsterdam

Conference Theme

Contemporary organizing is confronted by seemingly endless ?crises? which are routinely projected through apocalyptic metaphor. Over coffee, we can skip-read through today?s ?ecological catastrophe?, the ?global financial meltdown? and ?the collapse of capitalism? before ?getting down to work?. All of which suggests that the distance between our discursive projections of the future and our inability to confront those possibilities has, perhaps, never been greater. In the post-whatever world we now inhabit, all appears to be simultaneously terminal and ? bizarrely ? transient.

Hence, the theme for the 9th Conference has a narrative focus on the discursive construction and re-construction of crises, character, corruption and change. At the meta-level, the conference theme is intended to elicit papers which address the discursive construction and re-construction of ?crises?. In our view, linguistic framing is a fundamental aspect of how ?crises? are being manufactured, constituted, projected, perceived and addressed (or finessed) at all levels of organization.

Perhaps most problematic is how we have depicted the character of these various crises for their technical and global complexity invariably engenders over-simplified description. In parallel, we appear to be experiencing a persistent growth in corruption as manifest in the prevalence of institutional practices which directly undermined the presumed core processes of organizations and in our accounts of such seemingly corrupt behaviour which privilege rhetorical dissimulation. These issues raise further questions regarding the problems of continuity and the scope for change. What is the role for, and status of, discourse(s) in relation to change (or non-change). How does discourse shape ?character-formation? and possible responses to crises and corruption?

network: The International Centre for Research in Organizational Discourse, Strategy and Change (ICRODSC)
institution: Various in Europe, Australia and the US
contact person: Tom Keenoy, Sierk Ybema, Ida Sabelis and Cliff Oswick
email: (Discourse09 /at/ cardiff.ac.uk)

http://www.cf.ac.uk/carbs/conferences/icod10/index.html