[ecrea] Call for papers: Sound and Genre in film and television

Thu Dec 11 15:08:26 GMT 2008

Call for papers: Sound and Genre in film and television
Special issue of MedieKultur. Journal of media and communication research.
Editors: Nicolai Jørgensgaard Graakjær and Birger Langkjær

Submission deadline: August 15, 2009.
Publication date: Spring 2010.

The question of genre plays a central role in film and media studies. In this issue we would like to investigate how genres sound: Is there a recurrent use of music and sound effects in different genres, or can we say that each genre has defining auditory moments or sound signatures? Jingles in commercials, laugh tracks in television comedies and the symphonic scores for melodramas may count as well known examples. We invite papers that take different approaches to the use of sound and music in all kinds of genres. In addition to individual films, television programmes, and specific formats, we would also be interested in articles that address sound as part of the overall television flow.

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
* Television programme signatures, commercials, film trailers and other short forms
* Sound and music in film genres and serialised fiction
* Sound and music in non-fiction, such as documentaries, news programmes and reality television
* Sound and music in entertainment programmes

For more details, please contact editor-in-chief, Birger Langkjær, (bilang /at/ hum.ku.dk).<mailto:(bilang /at/ hum.ku.dk)>.
For mere details on the journal and how to submit, please consult http://ojs.statsbiblioteket.dk/index.php/mediekultur/information/authors

Ditte Laursen
Forsker i medier, ph.d. / Media researcher, Ph.D.

STATSBIBLIOTEKET / STATE AND UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
Universitetsparken
Dk - 8000 Århus C
Tlf. / Phone +45 89462060
CVR / SE / VAT No. DK 10100682 - EAN 5798000791084
http://statsbiblioteket.dk
http://www.dittelaursen.dk