[ecrea] News for Young People in the Age of Digital Media - Conference, BBC London

Fri Jun 13 10:17:38 GMT 2008

>News for Young People in the Age of Digital Media
>
>A one day conference
>
>24 June at BBC London, White City Conference Centre
>(the nearest Tube station is White City)
>
>A provisional programme is below. This is a free conference, with lunch and
>refreshments provided, but places must be booked in advance. To book a
>place, and/or for further information, email Cynthia Carter
>((cartercl /at/ cardiff.ac.uk)) asap ­ and no later than 20 June.
>Details
>
>We are pleased to invite you to attend a one-day conference exploring future
>directions of news provision for children in an age of â¬Ücitizen media.â¬"
>
>This conference will be of interest to academics, media practitioners,
>producers, and journalists. It aims to facilitate a discussion about how the
>media can foster civic engagement amongst young people in a rapidly changing
>media environment shaped by economic, social and technological change.
>
>The day will include presentations and roundtable discussions from news
>media professionals, academics and industry representatives with a long
>standing commitment to childrenâ¬"s news. It will also feature the
>presentation of original research on Newsround, drawing upon fieldwork with
>children and teenagers in Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England.
>
>Academic partners
>Dr Cynthia Carter (Cardiff University)
>Prof Máire Messenger Davies (University of Ulster)
>Prof Stuart Allan (Bournemouth University)
>Ms Kaitlynn Mendes (Cardiff University)
>
>BBC partners
>Mr Roy Milani
>Ms Louise Wass
>
>Supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council/BBC Knowledge Exchange
>Programme

>Provisional Conference Programme
>
>When: 24 June, 11:00am-4:00pm
>
>Where: BBC London, White City Conference Centre, 5 Floor
>
>10:30-11:00 - Registration and Coffee
>
>11:00-11:10- Opening Address: BBC/AHRC Knowledge Exchange Programme
>
>Susan Armour (Arts and Humanities Research Council)
>Rowena Goldman (BBC, BBC Future Media and Technology)
>
>11.10-12.00 - Plenary Session - Why Newsround Matters
>
>Chair: Roy Milani (BBC, former Editor, Newsround)
>Richard Deverell (BBC, Controller, Childrenâ¬"s)
>Sinéad Rocks (BBC, Editor, Newsround)
>James Thickett (Ofcom)
>
>12.00-12:30 ­ Research Report - What Young People Want from Newsrround:
>Preliminary findings from Newsround project
>
>Cynthia Carter (Cardiff University)
>Máire Messenger Davies (University of Ulster)
>Stuart Allan (Bournemouth University)
>Kaitlynn Mendes (Cardiff University)
>
>12:30-1:15 - Lunch
>
>1:15-2:15 - Roundtable Discussion 1 - Childrenâ¬"s News Provision: Newsround
>Today and Tomorrow
>
>Chair: Marc Goodchild (BBC, Head of Interactive
>and On Demand, BBC Childrenâ¬"s)
>Cary Bazalgette (Freelance Researcher and Consultant on Media Literacy)
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/