[ecrea] CFP: The "Third" Golden Age of Television Fiction

Fri May 23 10:47:42 GMT 2008

>CFP submitted on behalf of Tuna Erdem, (tunaerdem /at/ independentscholars.org)
>
>It Has Happened Before It Will Happen Again:
>The Third Golden Age of Television Fiction
>

>8-10 October, Istanbul
>
>Key Note Speaker: Kim Akass (Manchester Metropolitan University)
>

>In 1996 Robert J. Thompson wrote the vastly
>influential Televisions Second Golden Age: From Hill
>Street Blues to ER defining the controversial
>term quality television. As Thompson himself has
>stated, a decade after this publication, what
>was then exceptional and innovative has now become
>the norm, which suggest we might have entered
>yet another golden age. However instead of trying
>to demarcate each and every new wave of golden
>age, it might be best to claim, like the Cylons in
>Battlestar Galactica, that it has happened before and it will happen again.
>
>Despite the spreading of quality across the
>board, however, textual analysis in television studies
>is still in its infancy. This conference aims to
>contribute to the growing field of the textual analysis
>of television series and solicits papers that
>analyse any aspect of the texts of such shows as
>Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Heroes, Desperate
>Housewives, Nip/Tuck, The L Word, Veronica Mars,
>Dexter, Torchwood, etc. This list of shows is
>meant to be inspirational rather than conclusive and
>papers on television series not listed above will also be welcome.
>
>This is an interdisciplinary conference
>therefore papers are welcome from disciplines that include
>but are not limited to film studies, cultural
>studies, womans studies, queer studies, media studies,
>philosophy, sociology, political science,
>international relationships, literature, psychoanalysis etc.
>
>Proposals are invited for 20-minute
>presentations. Panel proposals for up to three speakers are
>also welcome. Please upload your abstracts, no
>longer than 350 words, by using the submit
>button on the web site www.independentscholars.org
>
>Deadline for abstracts: 6th of June
>For inquiries, email Tuna Erdem on (tunaerdem /at/ independentscholars.org)
>

>Possible streams or food for thought:
>

>- Genre and quality television:
>
>Is quality television a generic description
>rather than a critical evaluation? If so what is the
>characteristics of this genre? Does this genre have a defining iconography?
>
>Is soap opera the genre of television series?
>Could it be claimed that no matter what other genre
>a series might belong to it always carries some
>aspect of the soap opera? What aspects of the
>soap opera are to be found in series like
>Veronica Mars, Desperate Housewives, Nip/Tuck, Lost,
>Battlestar Galactica and Heroes? What does it
>mean to juxtapose soap opera with the term
>quality?
>
>What genre does Lost belong to? Is it science
>fiction, is it fantasy, is it horror? Is it possible to
>decide on its genre before it ends and if not
>how is it that the end defines the genre?
>

>- Remakes and spin-offs

> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/