[ecrea] Re-thinking the Screenplay: a conference

Fri May 16 12:54:52 GMT 2008

>University of Leeds, UK
>University of Art and Design Helsinki, Finland
>
>Re-thinking the Screenplay
>University of Leeds
>12th September 2008
>

>Call for Presentations and Papers
>
>The practice of screenwriting is now an established taught subject in
>Universities around the world.   The theory of screenwriting lags some way
>behind, and this conference redresses that imbalance by inviting colleagues
>to reflect on the key document ­ the screenplay ­ and on the processes that
>surround its use.
>
>This is the first conference organised by the Screenwriting Research
>Network based at the Louis Le Prince Centre, Institute of Communication
>Studies, University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/ics), in partnership with
>research colleagues at the University of Art and Design Helsinki
>(www.taik.fi/elo/english).  Our intention is to draw together colleagues
>who are actively researching and reflecting on screenwriting, whether
>through traditional or practice-based research, and at both pre- and post-
>doctoral level; and to extend membership of the Network as support for
>ongoing research.
>
>Speakers will include film-maker Dr. Kathryn Millard (Macquarie, Aus); film-
>maker Prof. J.J. Murphy (Wisconsin-Madison, USA); animation expert Prof.
>Paul Wells (Loughborough, UK); screenwriter Prof. Michael Eaton (Nottingham
>Trent, UK) (tbc); film historian Prof. Graham Roberts (Liverpool John
>Moores, UK); and colleagues from Helsinki.
>
>Proposals may be based on any aspect of the presentation and development of
>the screen idea.  This includes comparative practice between cultures and
>industries worldwide; critiques of the conventional Western screenwriting
>model; analogies with practice in other fields (such as music); the
>presentation of different genres of performance (such as dance) and of
>different forms of film-making (such as animation); the industrial
>practices of script development; practice external to the mainstream; non-
>literary industrial practice such as pre-visualisation; historical and
>intermedial analysis of practice; and new technical advances in
>screenwriting and pre-viz software. Registration for the conference will
>open in May 2008.  Video-conference presentations may be possible.
>
>Proposals and enquiries by July 14th 2008 to:
>Ian W. Macdonald
>Louis Le Prince Centre for Cinema, Photography and Television
>Institute of Communication Studies
>University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK.
>Phone:  (+44) 113 343 5816              Email:  (i.w.macdonald /at/ leeds.ac.uk)
>

>University of Leeds, UK
>University of Art and Design Helsinki, Finland
>
>Re-thinking the Screenplay
>University of Leeds, United Kingdom
>12th September 2008
>
>Background Notes for the Conference
>Ian W. Macdonald
>University of Leeds, UK

> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/