[ecrea] CFP: Circulations: Economies, Currencies, Movements in American Studies

Mon May 05 16:54:12 GMT 2008

>The New York Metro American Studies Association
>(NYMASA) and the Columbia Journal of American
>Studies (CJAS) announce a call for papers for
>our 2008 annual one-day conference:
>

>Circulations: Economies, Currencies, Movements in American Studies
>

>Saturday, November 8, 2008
>
>9:00am-5:30pm
>

>Circulations: blood, ideas, books, money,
>people, contagions, politics, trade.  All of
>these economies, both literal and figurative,
>operate within and across the porous boundaries
>of the United States.  From the virtual
>circulation of futures markets and viral video
>to the embodied circulation of migrants and
>goods, the economies of the United States ride
>any number of waves of circulation, some voluntarily, some much less so.
>

>The goal of this conference is to investigate,
>interrogate, interrupt, and intervene in the
>various circulatory systems that run through
>both the United States of America and American
>Studies.  How do ideas, people, and goods
>circulate?  How do different kinds of economies
>and currencies  monetary and otherwise
>shapeape us and the field of American
>Studies?  To what extent are metaphors of
>circulation useful in imagining intellectual
>networks, such as those produced by the
>Internet, trans-disciplinary (and transnational)
>collaborations, or academic activism?  How, too,
>are limits on movement like incarceration and
>immigration restriction connected to enforced
>movements like extraordinary rendition and
>deportation?  How do we theorize the
>metastasizing meanings of circulation?  How do
>we study moving targets?  What challenges does
>the study of circulations pose to traditional
>forms of knowing and scholarship, and what
>opportunities does it make available?  How might
>we reconfigure Marxist, post-structuralist, or
>other theoretical approaches in American Studies
>to account for these new global, economic, and
>political circuits?  How do we construct
>archives for studying such mobile phenomena?
>

>In imagining this conference, we invite
>participants to engage with any of the following
>issues (or any other this topic inspires):
>

>Circulating people: migration, displacement, diaspora
>
>Political movements, political economies
>
>Distressed economies: panics, depressions, recessions
>
>Psychic economies: panics, depressions, repressions
>
>Aesthetic economies and art markets
>
>Transnational economies: remittances, tourism, global circuits
>
>Knowledge economies and intellectual exchange
>
>Informal economies: mix-tapes, novelties, networks, survival crimes
>
>Virtual circulations: viral video, memes, folksonomies, wiki wisdom
>
>Bodily circuits, physical circulations
>
>Circulating currents: electricity, excitement, change
>
>Print circulation: underground, academic, institutional
>
>Circulars: periodicals, publications, pamphlets
>
>Circulating libraries, old and new
>
>Libidinal circuits: kinship networks, love
>triangles, prostitution rings, circuit parties, sex tourism

> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/