[ecrea] Multiplicities Conference, 16th/17th June, Manchester

Mon Apr 14 13:23:42 GMT 2008

>Please note details of the following conference:
>
>Multiplicities: World Cinema, Globalised Media and Cosmopolitan Cultures
>
>Research Institute for Cosmopolitan Cultures (RICC)
>Manchester University
>http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/ricc/
>
>June 16th and 17th 2008
>The Whitworth Gallery, Manchester
>

>Co-organised by:
>- Jackie Stacey, Research Institute for
>Cosmopolitan Cultures (RICC) University of Manchester
>- Keith Wagner, Film Media, University of Rhode Island
>
>Co-sponsored by:
>Screen
>The Cultural Theory Institute, The University of Manchester
>The Centre for Screen Studies, The University of Manchester
>CIDRA, The University of Manchester
>Film Media, University of Rhode Island
>
>The philosophical, cultural and political
>effects of contemporary cosmopolitanism have never been
>more contested. Its position within academic
>disciplines, from international relations to film
>studies and across an increasingly
>interdisciplinary network, calls for a consideration of its
>significance in understanding globalised media
>cultures. A justification for cosmopolitanism's
>polysemic perspective is that it challenges the
>hegemonic and ethnocentric world-view
>reproduced through contemporary mainstream media
>and cinema. Yet the question of
>cosmopolitanism's global situatedness, so
>relevant in the work of Craig Calhoun and David Held,
>generates new areas of scholarship concerning
>the positioning of cosmopolitan theory in relation
>to ubiquitous forms of film and media. Ulrich
>Beck argues against the idea that
>cosmopolitanization [is] simply a new word for
>what used to be called globalization? but what
>how might we understand such a distinction in
>the context of film and media cultures? How might
>the changing meaning of world cinema connect to
>a growing concern with cosmopolitan cultures?
>This conference will interrogate the
>intersection of cosmopolitanism, global media cultures and
>world cinema, prompting a forum for interdisciplinary exchange and debate.
>
>Anchored in these discursive terms,
>Multiplicities addresses the following questions:
>
>-How is contemporary cosmopolitanism relevant to media and film
>studies today?
>- To what extent does world cinema operate as a cosmopolitan category?
>- How are public communication and moving image
>practices re-created within cosmopolitan
>cultures?
>- How are new relations of sameness and
>difference configured in the production, circulation and
>regulation of cosmopolitan cultures?
>- Can cosmopolitanism transform the mediation of
>human rights and through what cultural
>forms?
>- How has the category of world cinema entered
>global relations of production and consumption
>and what is the place of cosmopolitism in such transformations?
>- What is the place of migration and diaspora in
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/