[ecrea] Call for papers book Health Communication South Africa

Tue Apr 08 21:36:50 GMT 2008

>Call for Papers
>

>We cordially invite scholars working in the
>areas of Health Communication or Education to
>submit papers to be published in a proposed peer-reviewed book entitled:
>

>Communicating health in emerging countries:
>Alternative media and appeals in <?xml:namespace
>prefix = st1 ns =
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Southern Africa
>

>Editors:
>
>Luuk Lagerwerf, VU University Amsterdam, Netherlands
>
>Henk Boer, University of Twente, Netherlands
>
>Herman Wasserman, Stellenbosch University, South
>Africa, and Newcastle University, United Kingdom
>

>Series editor:
>
>Harry Wels, SAVUSA (South  African Vrije Universiteit Strategic Alliances)
>

>Publisher and series information
>
>South Africa - Vrije Universiteit - Strategic
>Alliances (SAVUSA) is a VU University institute
>developed to stimulate academic cooperation
>between VU University faculties and universities
>in South Africa by facilitating projects and
>scientific publications on both staff and
>student level. The SAVUSA Editorial and Liaison
>Office can coordinate the entire process from
>manuscript to published book by offering editing
>and formatting, as well as liaising services.
>
>Publications in the SAVUSA series include:
>

>Sandra Evers, Marja Spierenburg and Harry Wels
>(Eds) (2005). Competing Jurisdictions. Settling
>land claims in Africa. Leiden: Brill publishers
>
>Keyan Tomaselli (2006). Encountering Modernity.
>20th Century South African cinemas. Amsterdam:
>Rozenberg publishers; Pretoria: Unisa press.
>
>Henk van den Heuvel, Mzamo Mangaliso and Lisa
>van de Bunt (Eds) (2007). Prophecies and
>Protests: Ubuntu in glocal management.
>Amsterdam: Rozenberg publishers; Pretoria: Unisa press.
>
>Netsayi Noris Mudege (2008). An Ethnography of
>Knowledge: The production of knowledge in
>Mupfurudzi resettlement scheme, Zimbabwe. Leiden: Brill publishers.
>

>Website www.savusa.nl. Contact: Saskia Stehouwer, (savusa /at/ fsw.vu.nl)
>

>Content
>
>Most health communication research is conducted
>in the Western world, assuming good
>technological infrastructures and without
>specific attention for cultural differences. In
>the proposed book, we try to present an overview
>of communication channels and strategies
>accounting for specific conditions in emerging
>countries. These conditions may lead to new
>opportunities and insights in health
>communication. Emerging countries like South
>Africa are making a leapfrog development in
>Information and Communication Technologies,
>enabling social movements to create activist
>networks and support groups through the internet
>(Wasserman, 2005). Whereas an assumption of
>cultural homogeneity is not valid anymore for
>Western societies (Kreuter, Lukwago, Bucholtz,
>Clark, & Sanders-Thompson, 2003), in dynamic
>multicultural societies like South Africa it is
>simply impossible to maintain it.
>
>             We expect that health communication
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/