[ecrea] Call for papers - adaptation in America

Fri Feb 29 19:08:56 GMT 2008

>American Studies Association of Turkey
>33rd Annual American Studies Conference
>In collaboration with
>The Literature Film Association (LFA)
>
>Adapting America/America Adapted
>
>October 8  10, 2008
>Bogazici University
>Istanbul, Turkey
>

>             This conference seeks to define a
> new agenda for adaptation studies,
> specifically, as a branch of American Studies
> that not only encompasses literature and visual
> media, but also a wide-range of subject areas
> including, but not limited to, history,
> anthropology, political science, philosophy,
> sociology, the performing arts, and
> cultural/ethnic studies.  By looking at
> adaptation in relation to the United States, we
> seek to investigate a variety of culturally and
> historically transformative strategies.  We
> also seek to examine how the process of
> adaptation has been influenced by social,
> ideological and political factors both inside and outside the United States.
>
>             While, traditionally, adaptation
> refers to the transformation of literary texts
> into different forms of media (e.g., films and
> television programs), the concept of adaptation
> can also be applied to other
> disciplines.  Historians engage in process of
> negotiating or "adapting" various histories, or
> dialogues, when they tell the story of a
> nation; politicians adapt/adopt different
> philosophies, at different times, to suit their
> particular interests; and artists and musicians
> adapt/adopt a broad range of cultural
> signifiers when creating new works, conventions, and/or trends.
>
>             The American Studies Association of
> Turkey invites proposals that consider
> adaptation, broadly conceived.  We particularly
> encourage proposals which incorporate
> transdisciplinary explorations of adaptation,
> and welcome proposals from any field of study.
> Possible themes include, but are not limited to:
>
>·                                 Processes/purposes of adaptation
>·                                 Adaptation and
>its motives (e.g., intentionality)
>·                                 Adapting
>history for political reasons/historical reinvention
>·                                 Popular history: creation and reception
>·                                 Foreign policy and adaptation
>·                                 Audience and adaptation
>·                                 Trans or intercultural adaptation
>·                                 Cultural
>outcomes/products of adaptation (hybridity,
>creolization, metissage, mestizaje)
>·                                 Racial adaptation ("passing")
>·                                 Musical
>adaptation (e.g., sampling in rap music)
>·                                 Artistic adaptation
>·                                 Cross-cultural
>adaptation (e.g., African elements in American Jazz/Blues)
>·                                 Lingual adaptation (e.g., ebonics)
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/