[ecrea] CFP - Public Service Media for Communication and Partnership

Fri Feb 22 15:58:54 GMT 2008

>The deadline for abstracts is 29 February 2008
>

>RIPE@2008 Conference
>
>October 8 ­- 11, 2008 in Germany
>
>CALL FOR PAPER PROPOSALS
>
>Public Service Media for Communication and Partnership
>
>We are pleased to announce the fourth bi-annual
>RIPE conference, this time hosted by ZDF
>(Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen), Germanys
>national public service television broadcasting
>company, and two universities: The
>Medienintelligenz programme together with IAK
>Medienwissenschaften at the Johannes
>Gutenberg-University of Mainz and with the
>Institute of Media Design at the Mainz
>University of Applied Sciences. Our theme will
>focus on what is involved and at stake in the
>transition from public service broadcasting to
>public service media. What is required to secure
>relations with the public as a partner? What are
>the strategic implications of managing a
>portfolio of platforms? What are the significant
>long-term trends affecting media in general and
>public service media in particular? What is
>involved in the transformation from emphasizing
>content transmission to emphasizing human communication?
>
>Conference organisers request abstracts in six
>topical categories. Comparative research will be
>prioritized for selection. The organizers are
>especially keen for research that suggests
>generalizable insights and has implications for media management.
>
>1. Participation Dynamics
>
>    * How can people be engaged with public service media at two levels:
>      by managers for decision making and by makers for content
>      development? Indeed, what happens to the notion of the maker?
>    * How do structures at various levels invite people to participate
>      or discourage their participation? For example, in the structures
>      of story telling and the structures of decision-making?
>    * Why does PSM have such problems in serving young people? How
>      concerned should PSM be about this?
>    * In what ways are PSM companies successful in facilitating public
>      participation in processes and practices related to democracy,
>      culture, learning, etc?
>
>2. Patterns of Media Use
>
>    * How do people use media today? What are the predictors? What are
>      the characteristic patterns? Do use patterns vary significantly
>      across cultures or nations?
>    * What has not changed in patterns of media use over the past twenty
>      years?
>    * What are the most important effects of media use? For example, the
>      impact on health, social perceptions, cultural relations, etc?
>      What are the most important consequences of participation in
>      online media, especially unanticipated effects?
>
>3. Identifying the Drivers and Meta-Trends
>
>    * Beyond the rise and fall of new media fads, what really matters?
>      What are the consistent factors and underlying dynamics?
>    * What meta-trends are especially important for understanding the
>      changes underway in society that have real implications for media?
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/