[ecrea] CFP ­ - Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies

Wed Feb 13 20:22:17 GMT 2008

>Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New MediaTechnologies
>

>Call for Papers  Special Issue on Digital Cultures of California
>Vol 15 no 1. February 2009
>

>EXTENDED SUBMISSION DEADLINE:  31 March 2008
>
>Guest editor:
>Julian Bleecker ((julian /at/ techkwondo.com))
>(Near Future Laboratory and University of Southern California)
>This call invites submissions for a special
>issue related to digital cultures of California.
>Internationally, California is a phenomenon in
>terms of its relationship to creating, consuming
>and analyzing the era of digital technologies.
> From the legendary garage entrepreneurs, to the
>multi-billion dollar culture of venture capital,
>to stock back-dating scandals, to the epic
>exodus of Californias IT support staff during
>the Burning Man festival, this territory plays
>an important role in the political, cultural and
>economic underpinnings of digitally and
>network-mediated lives on a global scale.
>The Bay Area of California (often referred to
>somewhat incorrectly as Northern California) is
>perceived as a hot-bed of technology activity.
>Nearby Silicon Valley serves as a marker for the
>massive funding of enterprises that shape many
>aspects of digital culture. The new interaction
>rituals that have come to define what social
>life has become in many parts of the world can
>often be traced back to this part of California.
>New, popular and curious forms of presence
>awareness and digital communication such as
>Twitter and Flickr have found a comfortable home
>here. Lifestyles of the Northern California
>digerati have enveloped the cultural milieu,
>often changing the social landscape to such a
>degree that it become unrecognizable and
>unpalatable to those less engaged in creating
>and consuming digital cultures. Complimenting
>the Bay Areas technology production activities
>is Southern California  the greater Los Angeles
>basin in particular  where Hollywood
>sensibilities bring together entertainment with
>technology through such things as video games,
>mobile content distribution, digital video and 3D cinema.
>California is also the home of several colleges
>and universities where digital technologies are
>developed in engineering departments and
>reflected upon from social science and
>humanities departments. This curious
>relationship between production and analysis
>creates the promise of insightful
>interdisciplinary approaches to making new kinds
>of digital networked cultures. Many institutions
>have made efforts to combine engineering and
>social science practices to bolster technology
>design. Xerox PARC probably stands as the
>canonical example of interdisciplinary
>approaches to digital technology design.
>Similarly, combining arts practices with
>technology as a kind of exploratory research and
>development has important precedent at places
>like Intel Berkeley Labs and PARC and at the
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/