Archive for calls, June 2008

[ecrea] 'Animation Unlimited': The 2008 Society for Animation Studies Conference

Tue Jun 17 16:19:15 GMT 2008

>Following is sent on behalf of Paul Ward (Arts Institute at Bournemouth).
>Please contact Paul direct ((pward /at/ aib.ac.uk)) for any further information.
>
>'Animation Unlimited': The 2008 Society for Animation Studies Conference
>Arts Institute at Bournemouth, UK
>18-20 July 2008
>Full delegate rate: £200
>
>Please see programme below. To book a place at this exciting event please
>contact Joe Barnes on (animationunlimited08 /at/ aib.ac.uk)
>
>He will also be able to assist with accommodation and other matters.
>
>Any other questions about the conference, please contact the Conference
>Chair, Dr. Paul Ward, on (pward /at/ aib.ac.uk)
>

>Animation Unlimited
>The 2008 Society for Animation Studies Conference
>

>Programme
>
>FRIDAY 18 JULY
>

>08.30-09.30 Coffee and Registration
>
>[Foyer of Institute House Building]
>
>09.30-10.00 Welcome and Introduction
>
>Professor Stuart Bartholomew (Principal, Arts Institute at Bournemouth,
>UK) and
>Dr Paul Ward (Conference Chair, SAS Board Member and Senior Lecturer, Arts
>Institute at Bournemouth)
>
>10.00-11.00 Opening Keynote Address
>
>Professor Esther Leslie (Birkbeck College, University of London, UK):
>'The Flux and Flurry of Animated Worlds - On Stillness and Hypermovement'
>
>11.00-11.30 Break
>

>11.30-13.00 Session 1
>
>Please choose between one of the following panels, either:
>
>Panel 1: Games/Animation
>
>*       Zombies in the Zone: splatter physics and physical bits in
>horrific play (Emily Flynn-Jones, University of Wales, Newport, UK)
>*       Clockwork Corpses: The Dance Macabre of Game Characters (Christian
>McCrea, Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia)
>*       Dark Waters: Representations of the Ocean Animus (David Surman,
>University of Wales, Newport, UK)
>
>or
>
>Panel 2: Approaches to Japanese animation
>
>*       Selective Animation: Rethinking the Concept of Limited Animation
>and its Relation to Anime. (Gan Sheuo Hui, Kyoto University, Japan)
>*       Investigating the Influence of Edo and Meiji Period Monster
>Imagery (Yôkai-ga) on Mizuki Shigeru's GeGeGe-no-Kitaro (Zilia Papp, Hosei
>University, Tokyo, Japan)
>*       The transformation of the "Japanese family": The comparison of
>Sazae-san, Chibi-Maruko-chan, and Crayon Shin-chan (Yuri Obata, Clarke
>Center for Asian Law and Culture, Cornell University Law School, USA)
>
>13.00-14.00 Lunch
>
>14.00-16.00 Session 2
>
>Please choose between one of the following panels, either:
>
>Panel 3: Round Table Discussion: Animation Industry/Animation Education
>
>(industry speakers to be confirmed)
>
>or
>
>Panel 4: Histories
>
>*       Woody Abstracted: Film Experiments in the Cartoons of Shamus
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/