[eccr] CFP-Conference on Tourism-Sheffield UK-14-18.07.2005

Mon Apr 11 09:46:49 GMT 2005

>TOURISM AND PERFORMANCE:
>SCRIPTS, STAGES AND STORIES
>14-18 July 2005, Sheffield, United Kingdom
>
>CENTRE FOR TOURISM AND CULTURAL CHANGE
>Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
>www.tourism-culture.com
>

>This is a call for papers for Tourism and Performance: Scripts, Stages and
>Stories, an international research conference organised by the Centre for
>Tourism and Cultural Change, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom.
>The extended deadline for this CFP is 1 May 2005. Due to lower venue costs,
>we have been able to reconsider the registration fees, and offer a student
>rate. Prof Edward Bruner from the University of Illinois, USA will give a
>plenary speech on 'Experience, Narrative and Memory in Tourism'.
>
>CONTEXT AND AIMS
>Performance has been theorised as a way by which human beings act in
>society and organise their being in the world. In the context of tourism,
>there is much debate regarding the idea of tourists as performers, 'acting
>out' spaces, and enacting 'scripts', through which they organise and add
>meaning to their experiences and journeys. Tourism in this sense can be
>seen to be 'staged'. But such perspectives raise a number of questions
>regarding the reflexivity, the hermeneutics, the sensual and aesthetic
>modalities, the social interactions and the political economy of tourist
>performance: How is individual tourist performance linked to socially
>prescribed or learnt models regarding tourism behaviour and spaces? How are
>spaces and material culture 'enacted' by and for tourists?  What are the
>production and consumption modalities of in situ and in visu stages for
>tourism performance? How is tourism performance linked to modes of
>touristic social interaction during the journey? What roles do stories play
>in generating performativity and in liberating tourists from the acts of
>travel and tourism?
>
>The aim of this conference is to explore such questions by drawing on the
>methodological and conceptual knowledge of different disciplinary
>perspectives including those of: tourism studies, anthropology, sociology,
>history, cultural studies, folkloric studies, literature, critical theory,
>linguistics, human/cultural geography, psychology, theatre studies and
>other relevant approaches.
>
>THEMES
>Key themes of interest to the conference include:
>
>- Who is cooking who? Tourism consumption, digestion, and excretion
>- Hermeneutics, reflexivity and agency: Tourism as a parable of the social
>world
>- Eden, Sodom & Gomorrah, the Solitary Wanderer, the Golden Fleece:
>Archaeologies of tourist imaginary and performance
>- Odour, sound, vision, taste - making sense of the senses: cognitive
>categories and perceptive processes in tourism experience
>- Objects as props - objects as texts
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info