Archive for calls, April 2005

[eccr] CFP multitudes 7-9 September 2005

Fri Apr 15 18:16:01 GMT 2005

>I am running a panel on 'multitudes in question' at the Workshops in
>Political Theory in Manchester this September and want to encourage
>contributions from scholars in Cultural Studies. The details of the panel
>are as follows:
>
>workshop title: Multitudes in question.
>blurb:
>Since the publication of their bestseller 'Empire' and the more recent
>'Multitude: War and Democracy in the Age of Empire' Hardt and Negri's notion
>of 'multitude' has established a multi-disciplinary currency. The purpose of
>this panel is to establish a critical space to discuss the notion of
>'multitude' and in particular to examine questions of the following type:
>         is there anything specifically political about the notion of
>multitude?
>         does the notion of multitude entail a particular ontological
>commitment?
>         can the notion of multitude withstand critiques from different
>theoretical trajectories?
>         is capital without limit?
>         whatever?
>In considering such questions proposals are welcome which might explore the
>'autonomist' conext of 'multitude', Negri's interpretation of Spinoza and
>the force of Deleuze, post-marxist alternatives, techno-organisational
>paradigms, and you know, like, whatever.
>
>The format of the Workshops requires informed discussion amongst the
>participants in order to develop questions and problematics. Therefore in
>submitting proposals potential participants are making a commitment to
>having a text ready in some shape or form to circulate to other participants
>at least a month before the event.
>
>If you are interested in contributing or would like to discuss the matter
>further please contact me at (jvalentine /at/ qmuc.ac.uk)
>
>Further details of the Workshops, including fees and accomodation, can be
>found at:
>http://www.hlss.mmu.ac.uk/pap/events/wpt.
>

>Dr Jeremy Valentine
>Media, Communication and Sociology
>Queen Margaret University College
>Edinburgh
>EH12 8TS

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info