Archive for calls, October 2004

[eccr] CFP - Literature in the Age of Cultural Studies and Globalization

Sun Oct 31 08:49:12 GMT 2004

>Call for Papers
>
>Concentric: Literary and Cultural Studies 31.2
>

>Concentric: Literary and Cultural Studies 31.2, scheduled to come out in
>July 2005, is inviting submissions. The special topic of this issue is
>¡§Literature in the Age of Cultural Studies and Globalization.¡¨ We
>encourage contributions from both Taiwan and the international community.
>In addition to those addressing the special topic, articles on other
>aspects of literature and culture are also welcome. The deadline for
>submissions to this issue is December 31, 2004. For details about
>manuscript preparation, please visit Concentric online at
><http://www.eng.ntnu.edu.tw/concentric-literature/>http://www.eng.ntnu.edu.tw/concentric-literature/index.htm.
>

>Concentric: Literary and Cultural Studies is a refereed journal published
>biannually (in January and July) by the Department of English, National
>Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan. While foregrounding the
>Asian¡Xand particularly Taiwan¡Xperspectives, Concentric encourages all
>perspectives and approaches including comparative and interdisciplinary
>ones, and welcomes original contributions from diverse national and
>cultural backgrounds which address any of the many dimensions of
>literature(s) and culture(s). All correspondence should be addressed to
>Concentric Editor, the Department of English, National Taiwan Normal
>University, 162 Hoping East Road, Section 1, Taipei 106, Taiwan, R.O.C.
>[e-mail: <mailto:concentric@deps. ntnu.edu.tw>(concentric /at/ deps.ntnu.edu.tw)]
>

>Special topic: ¡§Literature in the Age of Cultural Studies and Globalization¡¨
>
>                             Guest Editor: Ban Wang, Rutgers University
>

>Literature as a discipline and institution, with its canons and methods of
>criticism, has been eroding with the advent of cultural studies. Literary
>scholars have flocked to film, material culture, pop culture, visual
>culture, etc. Non-literary phenomena of society and culture are now
>studied in terms of their sensuous and aesthetic functions. As a social
>practice literature retains a spirit of imaginative creativity,
>experiments with untried possibilities, and critiques the life of
>administered consciousness in the human condition of alienation and
>instrumentalization. Must this critical and creative potential of
>¡§literature¡¨ be made (or forced to remain) compatible with cultural
>studies? This issue welcomes contributions that consider the relation of
>literature to cultural studies in an era of expanding transnational global
>capital. Pressing questions may include: How can literature align with
>cultural studies, so that each can exercise its own critical imagination?
>How can literature resist the drive toward marketability and consumption
>in cultural studies? How do aesthetic aspects of literature translate into
>social and political practice? How does the concept of a world
>(transnational or diasporic) literature contribute to or hamper the
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: 5B.454
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info