[eccr] Fwd: Conference on the Information Society in South(ern) Africa

Wed Jun 18 19:37:53 GMT 2003

>Dear Madam/Dear Sir,
>
>we would like to invite you to a conference on Globalisation,
>Regionalisation and the Information Society. A European and South(ern)
>African encounter.
>
>This conference is organised by the centre for Studies on Media,
>Information and Telecommunication (SMIT) of the Free University Brussels,
>the centre for Communication for Social Change (CSC) of the Catholic
>University Brussels, the Institute for European Studies (IES), of the Free
>University Brussels, the United Nations University-Centre for Regional
>Integration Studies (UNU-CRIS), the University of South Africa (UNISA) and
>the Human Science Research Council South Africa (HSRC)/Technikon
>Pretoria.  The conference is supported by the European Consortium for
>Communication Research and the Club of Rome-Brussels Chapter.
>
>This conference is scheduled at the end of a fruitful research and
>education project between SMIT, CSC, UNISA and the HSRC/Technikon
>Pretoria, which was financed by the Flemish and South African government
>(Bilateral Scientific and Technological Co-operation and the South African
>National Research Foundation). Together with the other partners IES and
>UNU-CRIS, the results of this project will be presented and put in a
>broader international and academic context.
>
>The conference will take place on 9-10 October in the Groot Seminarie in
>Bruges, Belgium. More information on the conference and a detailled
>programme are attached as pdf.
>

>with kind regards
>
>Leo Van Audenhove (SMIT)
>Pieter Fourie (UNISA)
>Pieter Conradie (HSRC/Technikon Pretoria)
>Jan Servaes (CSC)
>Jean Claude Burgelman (SMIT)
>Bart De Schutter (IES)
>Luk Van Langenhove (UNU-Cris)
>
>Preliminary programme
>
>DAY 1: THURSDAY 9 OCTOBER 2003
>13.30-14.00     Registration
>14.00-14.30     Welcome and Introduction
>THEME 1: THE CONCEPT OF THE INFORMATION SOCIETY
>14.30-15.00     Keynote: Globalisation and the Information Society
>         (to be confirmed)
>15.00-15.15     Questions
>15.15-15.45     Coffeebreak
>15.45-17.15     Parallel Session 1: Development in the Information Society
>         (Chair: NN.)
>         ICTs in the Developing World and the Policies of Major Donors
>         Harry De Backer (DG Development European Commission)
>         Eastern European Scenarios towards the Information Society
>         Jean Claude Burgelman (IPTS)
>         African Scenarios towards the Information Society
>         Tina James (Tina James Consultancy - Link Centre/Un. of
> Witswatersrand)
>         Discussion
>15.45-17.15     Parallel Session 2: Content in the Information Society
>         (Chair: Pieter Fourie)
>         Where the Global Meets the Local. South African Youth and their
> Experience of Global Media.
>         Larry Strelitz (University of Rhodes)
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
W1: http://smit.vub.ac.be/
W2: http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~ncarpent/