[eccr] (Amsterdam - 2-5 June 2003) Open Source Software and development cooperation workshop

Tue May 27 12:36:54 GMT 2003

>Open Source Software and development cooperation workshop
>
>02.Apr.03 (Amsterdam) This workshop organized by the Waag Society and
>Hivos is to take place in the framework of the Waag-Sarai Exchange
>Programme. Its main intention is to discuss the possible advantages of a
>more focused use of Open Source Software (OSS) solutions within the
>context of development cooperation programs. The workshop seeks to
>gather Open Source practitioners and advocates from both South and North
>who are active within the field of development cooperation and related
>activities. We aim at providing possibilities for common discussions,
>the exchange of technical and other knowledge and concrete co-operations
>between participants form diverging regional backgrounds. Parts of the
>workshop aim at reaching a larger (local) audience consisting of persons
>who are interested in this issue and especially representatives of
>development NGOs as well as (Dutch) policy makers.
>
>At this stage we have identified 4 thematic threads that will structure
>the workshop. (These threads can be changed should other issues emerge
>later during the preparation process).
>

>1 - Exchange of experience:
>Throughout the entire workshop we want to provide a setting for the
>exchange of experiences and co-operation among the participants. While
>concrete issues of this thread will depend on the interests and
>experiences of the participants there are a few issues that can already
>be identified at this moment: The localization of interfaces and
>applications, Open source based streaming techniques and network
>architectures. At the beginning of this thread the participants should
>present their individual projects.
>

>2 - Advocacy:
>This thread focuses on the importance of Open Source Software in the
>context of development cooperation. The intention is to come up with a
>coherent and more well founded position paper ('manifesto') on the
>advantages of using OSS in development cooperation programs. While the
>resulting paper is intended to be used in order to propagate the use of
>OSS among development cooperation organizations, it can also be used as
>an input into the discussion around the role of OSS that have risen with
>regard to the WSIS taking place in December in Geneva. The idea is that
>the organizers of the workshop prepare a draft position paper that will
>be circulated among the participants well before the workshop. This
>draft will be partly based on the results of a study on the use and
>possibilities of OSS in East-Africa that is currently being undertaken
>by Hivos. The draft will be discussed and amended during the WS and
>presented to the public on the last day.
>

>3 - Facilitation:
>This thread focuses on the question how the use of Open Source Software
>can be facilitated by providing solutions that are easy to use, manage
>and support. Are there technical or organizational solutions and
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
W1: http://smit.vub.ac.be/
W2: http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~ncarpent/