[eccr] Communities and Technologies Conference Amsterdam

Wed May 07 11:55:32 GMT 2003

>Communities and Technologies Conference Amsterdam 19-21 September 2003
>local information and communication infrastructures: experiences and
>challenges
>

>From: "Peter van den Besselaar"
><<mailto:(peter.van.den.besselaar /at/ niwi.knaw.nl)>(peter.van.den.besselaar /at/ niwi.knaw.nl)>
>
>CALL FOR PAPERS
>
>DIGITAL CITIES III
>local information and communication infrastructures:
>experiences and challenges
>
>A workshop organized within the context of the
>Communities and Technologies Conference Amsterdam 19-21 September 2003
>
>The relationship between technologies and communities is ambiguous.
>On the one hand, changing technologies of communication and cooperation have
>facilitated the changes in the way people relate to each other. Wellman
>has introduced the concept of networked individualism for this (3), and
>this points at the phenomenon that people often participate in a variety of
>only partly overlapping and often non-local communities. On the other
>hand, the role of place remains crucial important, as the local environment
>remains an important place of organizing and coordinating social life.
>
>Digital cities are developing on the intersection of these two phenomena:
>network and place. Digital cities can be seen as an effort to develop and
>use ICT-applications for the improvement of the local and urban
>infrastructure for living, working, collaboration, and communication within
>a networked society. Many experiments have taken place and are still taking
>place all over the world (see 1, 2, 3 for overviews), showing a large
>variation.
>
>- Some are developing advanced cutting edge technologies, others use
>established and well known technologies.
>- Some are mainly technological projects that aim at demonstrating the
>potential usefulness, while others are mainly social development projects,
>using the technology as an instrument for supporting the development of
>deprived groups, neighborhoods or regions.
>- Some are very resourceful, whereas others are low budget initiatives.
>- Finally, where some digital cities are merely (temporary) experiments,
>others are meant as sustainable part of the local infrastructures.
>
>The nature, functioning, use and sustainability of digital cities is highly
>dependent on contextual factors such as the political and social context,
>the actors involved with their different aims and resources, the
>organizational forms, and choices for certain technical solutions.
>Especially the arena of actors and organizations involved is a crucial
>factor in the development of digital cities.
>
>In the workshop we will discuss the state of the art in digital city
>experimentation and research, and build upon the lessons of the earlier
>workshops organized in Kyoto.
>
>We invite papers on the following topics, but the list is not exclusive.
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
W1: http://smit.vub.ac.be/
W2: http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~ncarpent/