[Commlist] CFP now open for AusSTS2024! "(De-)Territorialising STS: Discipline, Place, Power"

Wed Jul 03 06:58:55 GMT 2024

*CFP now open for AusSTS2024!*
*
*Theme*: (De-)Territorialising STS: Discipline, Place, Power", co-hosted by ANU and TopEndSTS
*Date: *18 - 20 Nov 2024
*Location: *ANU, Canberra
*Deadline for submissions:* 4 August 2024
*For details visit:* https://aussts.wordpress.com/call-for-proposals/ <https://aussts.wordpress.com/call-for-proposals/>
*
*
We are pleased to announce that the Call for Proposals for AusSTS 2024 is now open! This year’s conference will be held at ANU, and is co-organised by ANU and TopEndSTS, which are located in Australia’s two most populous territories, respectively: the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) and the Northern Territory (NT).

We encourage participants to submit proposals that engage with the conference theme: (De-)Territorialising STS: Discipline, Place, Power. This conference builds on conversations convened at last year’s conference on ‘Contributing to and with STS’, and explored in reflections that took place afterwards, by thinking with the theory and practice of STS through the lens of ‘territory’, broadly understood.

There are multiple possible approaches to thinking through this lens. One involves thinking through STS as a discipline, a territory in the intellectual landscape that imagines and intervenes in the world in particular ways. Another involves thinking through STS from, and about, particular geographical places, and the influences and impacts of our research and praxis on these places. Implicit in both of these approaches is the inevitable question of power, including the ability to define boundaries that include and exclude, and to produce and designate legitimate knowledge. These issues take on specific forms and stakes in the Australasian context, rooted in a colonial past whose legacies and logics persist today. Imagining and enacting more just and equitable futures depends on engaging with these valences of territory, and reflecting on our commitments and responsibilities from these situated perspectives.

Participants at all career stages are welcome to share their research, or to contribute to AusSTS 2024 as non-presenting attendees.

AusSTS 2024 will feature a series of discussions about what (De-)Territorialising STS means from various situated perspectives. The main conference will be preceded by an Early Career Researcher (ECR) Day on November 18th, which will include sessions focussed on career development and networking. Our opening keynote will be delivered by Professorial Research Fellow Helen Verran (Charles Darwin University), with additional speakers and panels to be announced soon. And throughout the conference, with the support of the Fenner Circle, participants will be invited to engage with the theme through daily yarning, which provides a sovereign space to ask difficult questions and practice unfamiliar ways of knowing and doing. Here, the goal will be to enhance our capacity to challenge entrenched colonial academic practices and seek answers to the questions that should be asked aloud.

Participants will be able to share work through presentations, have work-in-progress reviewed, and – for the first time at AusSTS – present in a ‘Making and Doing STS knowledge’ session.

*Submission Guidelines:
*
We invite scholars, writers, artists, and activists from any career stage to contribute to AusSTS 2024. We welcome applications that broadly engage with STS, and especially encourage applicants to engage with the conference theme where possible. Indigenous people at all stages of their careers are strongly encouraged to submit an application.

Please submit an application to participate in one of the following formats:

  * Submit an abstract for a short (10 minute) presentation or
    provocation that engages with the conference theme. Sessions will
    consist of 3-4 presentations followed by group discussion (200 words).
  * Submit an abstract (200 words) for a longer piece of written work to
    be workshopped with AusSTS attendees. Pieces of work can include
    papers or thought pieces (including works in progress), more
    speculative proposals of research, and other creative or
    non-traditional forms of translation and output. Final submissions
    should be in a written format, between 1,000 and 3,000 words, and
ready to be circulated amongst all attendees by Sunday November 3, 2024.
  * Submit a proposal to host a display in the ‘Making and Doing STS
    knowledge’ session. Presenters in this session will be offered a
    stall/display space in which they may coordinate an interactive
    exhibit or schedule a small event inviting engagement with a
    presentation of STS knowledge making as, and in, practice [see below
    for more information]
  * Register as a non-presenting attendee.

For more details and to submit an abstract visit: https://aussts.wordpress.com/call-for-proposals/