Archive for March 2021

[Commlist] CFP Rethinking Culture, Media and Creative Industries in the Era of Covid, CMCI Online Conference

Mon Mar 29 12:25:46 GMT 2021

The Department of Culture, Media and Creative Industries of King’s College London will host its first online postgraduate conference – Rethinking Culture, Media and Creative Industries in the Era of Covid – in July 2021. This year, the CMCI PGR conference will set out to explore and re-evaluate the cultural, media and creative industries during and after the Covid-19 pandemic. This conference will provide a forum to examine and reflect on how the challenges of the past year have reshaped and will reshape both our cultural landscape and research practices. The conference – organised by a committee of CMCI postgraduate research students – will take place on 1-2 July 2021 via Zoom and will be live-streamed on YouTube. We invite researchers and practitioners from diverse disciplinary backgrounds and with a particular interest in culture, media and creative industries to present original empirical and theoretical research at this year’s Rethinking Culture, Media and Creative Industries in the Era of Covid conference. The years 2020/21 have brought to the fore global issues of social inequality and exclusion, working practices, digital cultures, sustainability, political structures, cultural production and consumption, etc. Not only Covid-related themes but those focusing on other relevant contemporary developments are also welcome. We especially encourage submissions by doctoral students and early career researchers from all around the world.

Sub-themes might include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
• Social inequalities and exclusions highlighted by the pandemic: gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, class, age, etc. in culture, media and creative industries • (Creative) Digital/online methods in researching culture media and creative Industries
•	Social media and digital culture •	Cultural production and consumption
•	Working and labour practices in the culture, media and creative industries
•	(Inter)locality and Transnationality
•	Cultural and social memory
• Transformations in researching culture, media and creative industries • Social, economic and environmental sustainability

Doctoral students and early career researchers from arts and humanities disciplines who can contribute to these discussions are invited to send an abstract (up to 250 words) and a short biography (up to 150 words) to (cmci-conference /at/ kcl.ac.uk) by 11.59 PM on 2nd May 2021. In order to accommodate the maximum number of presenters, presentations should be kept to a maximum of 15 minutes. Proposals will be reviewed by the CMCI PGR Conference team. We invite abstracts for presentations in a variety of formats, including pre-recorded presentations to accommodate speakers from a variety of time zones. Successful applicants will be notified by 15th May 2021.

For conference updates and more information, please visit our Website (https://cmci-kings.org/2021/03/29/rethinking-culture-media-and-creative-industries-in-the-era-of-covid/) and like our Facebook page.