Archive for March 2021

[Commlist] Fulltime assistant professor in Media Policy

Wed Mar 10 19:30:45 GMT 2021

https://jobs.vub.be/job/Elsene-Fulltime-professor-in-Media-Policy/657382301/
Full-time professor in Media Policy

Category:  Academic Staff & Researchers
1 - Company profile

For already 50 years, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel has stood for freedom, equality and connectedness. These values are strongly present on our campuses, in our students as well as our staff. At the VUB, you’ll find a diverse collection of personalities: pure innovators, but especially people who are 100% their authentic selves. With about 3,500 employees, we are the largest Flemish-speaking employer in Brussels, an international city with which we are all too happy to be connected and around which our four campuses are located.

Our education and research are grounded in the principles of free research with an eye on human progress. We disapprove of every purely authoritative argument and guarantee the free formation of judgement that is necessary for this basic principle to be incorporated in the community.

The VUB is autonomous and managed democratically. As such, we guarantee fundamental freedoms within our university, as well as the right of the university community to be involved in making and checking university policy.

The mission of the university includes:

the development, the transfer and the application of high-standing academic education and scientific research, free from any prejudice;
    community integration of this in a spirit of social compassion;

critical development of everyone in light of the responsibilities borne in the community.

2 - Job Description
Staff category 	Senior Academic Staff
Specific designation Recruitment is a tenure track appointment which implies an initial appointment as lecturer for a period of 5 years with eligibility for tenure in the rank of senior lecturer by the end of this initial period.
Scope of mandate 	1 FTE
Faculty  	Faculty Social Sciences & Solvay Business School

Department
	Communicatiewetenschappen
Education & research domain

Domain of communication sciences, specializing in media policy and media economics.

Teaching

You are responsible for teaching courses at the Faculty of Social Sciences and Solvay Business School for an equivalent of 24 ECTS in the field of media and policy, both at bachelor and master level, and both in Dutch and in English.

The course package includes, indicatively, Mediabeleid (6 ECTS); European Media Policy (6 ECTS) and EU Media and Communication Policy (6 ECTS);

    You coordinate the practical sessions MediaLab.
    You supervise bachelor’s and master’s theses.

Research

You conduct research in the domain of communication sciences, specializing in media policy and media economics.
    You supervise PhD students.
    You acquire external (research) funds.

Other

You are responsible for service tasks at the level of the department, the faculty and/or the university. You develop and maintain an international network for purposes of education and research. You contribute to creating external visibility for the program(s), the research, the department, the faculty and the university.

3 - Job profile

    You hold a PhD.
You have a good research record with internationally refereed publications in the field of communication sciences, specializing in media policy and media economics.

    You possess strong pedagogical qualities.
    You master English and Dutch at the C1-level.

The candidate is expected to subscribe to the university’s vision of education. (The full text in relation to this is available on the university website.)

Members of the academic staff who, as title-holders, are charged with teaching assignments, must be able to demonstrate the required knowledge of the language of instruction for the relevant course units. Example: When a course unit is taught in English, the candidate is required to have the appropriate certificate. More information about the regulations concerning the language proficiency you can find via https://jobs.vub.be/content/Regulations-concerning-language-proficiency/
4 - Offer

As an employee of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, you’ll work, every day, in a dynamic, diverse and multilingual environment. Our campuses are located in the middle of a green oasis at the edge of the capital city of Flanders, Belgium and Europe. That city centre, with all its opportunities and possibilities, is easily accessed by public transport in less than half an hour.

Depending on your experience and your academic merits, you’ll receive a salary in one of the grades that have been set by the government. Standard inclusions include hospitalisation insurance and the free use of public transport for your home–work commute. And if you prefer to bike to work? There’s compensation for that too. On both campuses, there are extensive sport facilities available to you and childcare facilities within walking distance.

For more information on what it’s like to work at the VUB, go to www.vub.ac.be/en/jobs.
5 - Additional information
Planned starting date 	01/10/2021
Length of contract Recruitment is a tenure track appointment which implies an initial appointment as lecturer for a period of 5 years with eligibility for tenure in the rank of senior lecturer by the end of this initial period.
Waiting period 	15/04/2021
Contact person 	Prof. dr. Leo Van Audenhove
Contact telephone 	0032 (0)479/75.32.36
Contact e-mail 	(Leo.Van.Audenhove /at/ vub.be)

6 - Application
Applications can only be made ONLINE

Your application must include the following as a minimum:

    A concise CV;
    The academic dossier with all relevant elements;
Vision of education and research and a list of your five most important publications; A brief statement of reasons for the candidature, including an explanation of the expansion of future research;

    Degrees and diplomas..