[ecrea] Media and Communication Studies Conference - A Non-Media Centric Approach to Media Studies

Thu Apr 26 08:18:26 GMT 2018

There are a few places left on the one day Media and Communication Studies Conference at Uppsala University Friday 4 May. If you are interested in just sitting in, e-mail (ylva.ekstrom /at/ im.uu.se)

*Media and Communication Studies Conference, Friday 4 May 2018*
*Auditorium 2, Ekonomikum*
*A Non-Media Centric Approach to Media Studies*

***9.00 – 10.00 *
*Keynote*: Shaun Moores, University of Sunderland, UK.
***From Non-Media-Centric Media Studies to Everyday-Life Studies with a Non-Representational Theoretical Emphasis*

*10.00 – 10.30  Break*

*10.30 – 11.30*
*Panel 1: ”How do we engage with non-media centric media studies?”*

Therese H. Monstad, Nico Carpentier, Kirill Filimonov, Göran Svensson, Uppsala University (Vaia Doudaki moderator)

*A BA-program in the digital era*
Therese H. Monstad

*Non-media centric outreach. Shouldn't we talk about the world?**
*Nico Carpentier

*“Distinguishing between media activists and other activists is harmful”: Alternative media, participation and the plurality of struggles*
Kirill Filimonov

*Personal, generational and positional engagement with the media*
Göran Svensson

*11.30 – 12.30  Panel 2: ”How do we teach non-media centric media studies?” *

Tobias Olsson, Lund University, Tina Askanius, Malmö University, Amanda Lagerkvist, Stockholm University (Ylva Ekström moderator)

*Can We Actually Teach Non-Media Centric Media Studies? Critical Reflections**
*
Tobias Olsson, Lund University

*From media activism to activist media practices: exploring the virtues and limits of practice theory in bringing a non-media centric approach to teaching and researching media (and) activism*
Tina Askanius, Malmö University

*Momentous and mundane media: lifeline communication in the limit-situation of death online – trajectories for existential media studies.*
Amanda Lagerkvist, Stockholm University

*12.30 – 13.00*
*Closing discussion*

13.00 – 14.00
*Lunch*

14.00 – 17.00
*PhD feedback workshop with Nico Carpentier and Tobias Olsson*

~~~
*Ylva Ekström*, PhD Media and Communication Studies
Senior Lecturer and Pedagogical Director of Studies
Department of Informatics and Media, Uppsala University
Post: Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden
Phone: +46 (0)18 471 1034 or +46 (0)708 10 11 99
E-mail: (ylva.ekstrom /at/ im.uu.se) <mailto:(ylva.ekstrom /at/ im.uu.se)>
Skype: ylvahilda
Web: www.im.uu.se <http://www.im.uu.se/>

~~~