[ecrea] CFP: 2018 ELLAK International Conference: Encounters with the Posthuman: Materiality, Vitality, Narrativity

Mon Mar 19 13:59:17 GMT 2018

    CFP: 2018 ELLAK International Conference December 13-15

    Encounters with the Posthuman: Materiality, Vitality, Narrativity

deadline for submissions:
July 31, 2018
full name / name of organization:
The English Language and Literature Association of Korea (ELLAK)
*
*Date: December 13-15, 2018*

*Venue: Centennial Hall, Sookmyung Women’s University, Seoul, Korea *

No longer relegated to the domain of far-fetched fantasies or esoteric musings, visions of posthuman encounters have now become an imminent reality of palpable import in the age of technologically augmented lifestyle that we currently inhabit. As radical advancements in digitally networked media apparatuses, biomedical technology, and computer science continuously expand the scope of our bodily and mental presence, the question of “what it means to be human” presses us with an ever greater urgency. How do we define and know who we are, and how does one certify his or her own existence, in an age when mechanical augmentation, extension, or even replacement of the body is a realistic venture, and the properties of the human mind can be reproduced, preserved, and emulated in the form of digital code? If the human body and its internal mechanism can be compatible with that of artificial entities, and self-evolving machines can interact with or even replace humans in their cognitive capacity, what does being human involve, and mean? Exploring both human and nonhuman (artificial, organic, or otherwise) agencies that constitute the eco-sphere of life past, present and beyond in pursuit of a sustainable future, the 2018 ELLAK International Conference invites scholars to investigate the literary and critical contours of posthuman discourse.

We are honored to host Drs. N. Katherine Hayles (Duke University), Timothy Morton (Rice University), and Wendy Hui Kyong Chun (Brown University) as keynote speakers.

Topics may include (but are not limited to) the following subjects:

 1. Ecocriticism, Anthropocene
 2. Animal Studies
 3. Transhumanism
 4. Artificial intelligence, artificial life
 5. Cybersexualities
 6. Genetic engineering, biohacking, biomedical technologies
 7. Cognitive science, neuroscience
 8. Posthuman rights, animal rights, ethics
 9. Object-oriented philosophy, speculative realism
10. Monster studies, cyborg, robot
11. Digital network culture, software studies
12. Virtual reality, augmented reality

To apply for participation, submit your abstract and CV to (2018ellak /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(2018ellak /at/ gmail.com)> by 31 July 2018.