Archive for October 2018

[ecrea] Job at UMBC: Tenure-track Assistant Professorship in global/transnational media and communication

Wed Oct 31 09:22:14 GMT 2018

The Department of Media and Communication Studies (MCS) at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professorship in global/transnational media and communication beginning in August 2019.

We seek an interdisciplinary scholar with demonstrated excellence in teaching core media and communication studies courses at the undergraduate level. The successful candidate should have an active research agenda in global/transnational contexts and specialize in areas that augment our existing faculty expertise. We especially invite candidates who have a strong commitment to and experience in supporting a diverse student body. The teaching load is 2/3. Other responsibilities include student advising and service to the Department, College, and University community.

As a department with a broad liberal arts focus, MCS values the intellectual contributions of a wide range of disciplines, including but not limited to media studies, communication, cultural studies, anthropology, sociology, history, rhetoric, American Studies, and ethnic studies. Since our department formed in 2007, we have grown to almost 300 majors and seven full-time faculty. Current faculty members consist of nationally and internationally recognized scholars and innovative teachers in such areas as radio/sound studies, media history, visual culture, transnational media cultures, media and space, digital media, intercultural communication, television production, and documentary and experimental film. Our curriculum bridges theory and practice by emphasizing critical media literacy as well as historical, theoretical, and global perspectives on media and communication. Students in our department come from diverse backgrounds. Many of them participate regularly in media production and community engagement projects within UMBC and beyond.

With almost 14,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UMBC is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Research University with high research activity (RU/H). U.S. News and World Report has consistently ranked UMBC among the Top Ten universities with a “strong commitment to undergraduate teaching” and one of the “Most Innovative Schools” within the nation. The campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington corridor near major news organizations, political and cultural institutions, and federal agencies that afford opportunities for research collaboration. UMBC is dedicated to training underrepresented scholars at the undergraduate and graduate level. The university is extremely proud of the diversity of its student body, and we seek to attract an equally diverse applicant pool for this position. We have a strong commitment to inclusive excellence, as evidenced by our continuous efforts to foster faculty diversity. (For more information, please visit https://facultydiversity.umbc.edu/). We especially encourage applications from women, minority group members, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.

Qualifications:
Candidates should have Ph.D. in hand by August 2019. They should have scholarly expertise in global/transnational media and communication as well as readiness to teach two or more core courses in our departmental curriculum, such as media literacy, introduction to media and communication studies, history and theory of media and communication studies, research methods, and media, communication and globalization. (The current curriculum is available at https://mcs.umbc.edu/mcs-major-curriculum-revision/.)
Application Instructions
Apply at: apply.interfolio.com/56875 <http://apply.interfolio.com/56875>
The following required application materials should be submitted through Interfolio:
1. Letter of interest
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Article-length writing sample
4. Sample syllabi and teaching evaluations
5. Statement of experience with and commitment to inclusive excellence
6. Three letters of reference
For best consideration, please apply by December 1st, 2018. Review of applications will continue until position is filled. For questions about the application process, contact Samirah Hassan at (shassan1 /at/ umbc.edu) <mailto:(shassan1 /at/ umbc.edu)>. For questions about the position, contact Fan Yang, the search committee chair, at (fanyang /at/ umbc.edu) <mailto:(fanyang /at/ umbc.edu)>.

UMBC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.