Archive for October 2018

[ecrea] Film Matters 9.1 published

Tue Oct 23 22:11:35 GMT 2018

Intellect is happy to announce that the newly designed Film Matters is available! For the full bumper list of articles, click here >> https://bit.ly/2Rbgt3u

Articles:

In Memoriam: Hannah Frank, 1984–2017

Authors: Tim Palmer And Liza Palmer
Page Start: 4

Warped Space Time: Exploiting Schematic Assumptions in Ritual in Transfigured Time

Authors: Grant Brighter
Page Start: 7

“We’re Just Cinema Thugs”: A Documentary Critique on Cultural Exploitation

Authors: Jake Martin Graves
Page Start: 18

Mental Illness and the Monstrous Mother: A Comparison of Representation in The Babadook and Lights Out

Authors: Elizabeth E. Riggs
Page Start: 30

What Makes HAL 9000 a Character in 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Authors: Kyle Stanley And Jacob Laham
Page Start: 39

I Ain’t Afraid of No Ghosts: Positive Female Representation in the Ghostbusters (2016) Remake

Authors: Linnea Warburton
Page Start: 47

2017 New Directors/New Films Festival Review Dossier: Introduction

Authors: Gabrielle Fulton And Hunter Herrera And Kaitlin Lowe And Katie Neilson And Blake Thompson
Page Start: 61

Autumn, Autumn (2016)

Authors:  Blake Thompson
Page Start: 65

Documenting Fantasy and Disability

Authors:  Kaitlin Lowe
Page Start: 67

Happiness University: The Strange, the Mundane, and the Sensuous

Authors: Gabrielle Fulton
Page Start: 71

Lady Macbeth (2016)

Authors: Katie Neilson
Page Start: 75

The Last of Us (2016)

Authors: Katie Neilson And Blake Thompson
Page Start: 79

Pendular: Screen Space

Authors: Hunter Herrera
Page Start: 83

A Tour de France in Four Days

Authors: Gabrielle Fulton And Kaitlin Lowe
Page Start: 85

Global Cinema, For Western Eyes

Authors: Eduard Saakashvili
Page Start: 89

Analyzing High-Fidelity Thematic Elements of the World of Stalker: From the Tarkovsky Film to the GSC Game World Video Game

Authors: Emmett Williams
Page Start: 93

We’ll Teach Them Tricks: Reinstating Normative Hybrid Futures in Alien: Resurrection

Authors: Julia Glick
Page Start: 101

Empty Space: The Depersonalization of the Future in 2001: A Space Odyssey

Authors: Scott Orris
Page Start: 10

The “I” in AI: Emotional Intelligence and Identity in Ex Machina

Authors: Hayley Wilson
Page Start: 117

The Fantasy of Star Wars: Reconsidering Genre in Hollywood’s Biggest Space Movie

Authors: Jonathan Wright
Page Start: 125

The Science of Star Wars: The Scientific Facts Behind the Force, Space Travel, and More!

Authors: Cayce Bower
Page Start: 132

Mars in the Movies: A History

Authors: Carter B. Emory
Page Start: 134

Afrofuturism: The World of Black Sci-Fi and Fantasy Culture

Authors: Shaun Ting Sheng Kam
Page Start: 136

Exploring Science Through Science Fiction

Authors: Christian Pavlovich
Page Start: 138