Archive for October 2018

[ecrea] Mapping Community Media - 24th November University of Leicester

Mon Oct 08 19:04:19 GMT 2018

*What’s the Work that Community Media Does?*

The Community Media Association recognises the need to widen its research remit so that it can better support community media groups with evidence that can be used to assess the social impact that community media has. Community media activists and practitioners need an independent and recognised evidence base when talking with UK government, regulators, local government, NGOs, funding bodies, civic development groups.

Led by the University of Leicester's Dr Katie Moylan, and the Community Media Association's Dr Rob Watson, this event will bring together researchers and community media practitioners to assess and map where and how community media in the U.K. is being produced and studied, with a view to determining how it can more productively be evaluated.

Use this link to book a ticket:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/mapping-community-media-tickets-51010319238

Emphasis will be given to considering potential areas of future research collaboration between community media practitioners, community development advocates, civic engagement and social policy developers, digital engagement practitioners, social and civic services commissioners, and beyond.

We will be asking how researchers can identify:

  * What is the social impact of community media?
  * What is the role that community media plays in social integration,
    diversity, access to information & representation?
  * What is the role that community media plays in sustainable development?
  * How does community media imaginatively, creatively and inclusively
    respond to social change?
  * How is technology changing how we think about media participation?
  * What are the future business models?
* What are the concerns of future generation of community media advocates?

*Mapping Community Media*

The aim of the workshop is to outline a set of further research questions and approaches that might help us to further understand the role of community media. We want to identify who is doing what in different places, how we might bring this work together, and how the evaluation of the role of community media can better explain the social impact that it has.

Potential questions might include:

  * How do we understanding the processes that drive social engagement
    and participation?
  * What are the forces and barriers that disrupt active participation?
  * What are the institutional and regulatory frameworks that shape
    access to platforms for self-defined media production?
  * How can we account for and assess the social impact of community media?

Our aim is to identify how we can:

  * Supporting a network of practitioners, community development
    advocates, teachers and researchers.
  * Working in partnership with existing research-focussed groups to
    identify resources to support mapping and evaluation.
  * Organise and communicate to develop a more detailed mapping exercise
    of existing research.

Thinking through and discussion of these issues will be developed in workshops, with plenty of opportunity for creative interactions and problem-solving, future-thinking and counter-intuitive ideas mapping.

Dr Rob Watson
(rob /at/ robwatsonmedia.net) <mailto:(rob /at/ robwatsonmedia.net)>