Archive for August 2018

[ecrea] Guy Starkey passed away

Sun Aug 05 14:48:02 GMT 2018

Dear members of the Radio Research Section,
Dear friends,

It is with great sadness that we inform our friend Guy Starkey has passed away last Thursday. He was diagnosed with cancer in 2015, but he continued to work and participate in our regular events. In June he went to hospital again, because his cancer moved to his lungs. A few weeks ago he was still in contact with his friends, posting on Facebook and answering emails. Unfortunately he didn’t resist this last health challenge.

Guy Starkey was a reference for those who had the luck to know him: a scientific reference in the field of radio studies, author of books, articles and chapters on radio journalism and local radio broadcasting and former chair of the ECREA Radio Research Section; a professional reference, a passionate radio practitioner; and a personal reference, a great and lovely friend. For so many good reasons, we used to say that “Guy is a nice guy!”.

Today is a sad, very sad, day. Words fall short of expressing our sorrow for this lost.

Our deepest condolences to his family and closer friends.

The Radio Research Section team,
Madalena Oliveira
Tiziano Bonini
Grazyna Stachyra