[ecrea] CFP - Media Archaeology -Technologies of Power / Power of Technology - Gorizia Spring School 2018

Mon Oct 30 18:07:02 GMT 2017

DEADLINE EXTENSION!

Media Archaeology Workshop - Technologies of Power / Power of Technology
Film Forum -  XVI Magis International Film Studies Spring School
Gorizia, Università degli studi di Udine-Italy
March 3rd-7th 2018

Deadline extended to November 25th, 2017
Address questions and proposals to: (goriziafilmforum /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(goriziafilmforum /at/ gmail.com)>

Drawing on the theoretical frame elaborated during the last Film Forum (more specifically, as regards the notion of technological network), in the XVI Edition of our Spring School the Media Archaeology section will focus on the two-fold concept of “technologies of power / power of technology”. In other words, we aim to investigate how technological devices have taken shape in past and contemporary media landscapes in forms of “power” – a system for gathering consensus, for repression, for developing a “sense of community”, for elaborating political and social identities, for negotiating new syntheses between bios and zoé (Esposito 2004; see also Parikka 2010; Väliaho 2010), for taking part in a bioderegulated society (Hennessy 2007, Crary 2013), and so on. Questioning the concept of dispositif (see Albera, Tortajada 2015) and the application of the notion of agencement by Deleuze and Guattari (Deleuze, Guattari 1980) to the field of film and media studies (Casetti 2016), we will target the ways in which the technical basis of the dispositif engage in dialogue with “key notions or typesnotions [...], which at a given historical moment come to define a given dispositive”, and with the social and political stances of a specific timespan/geographical context. More specifically, we will focus on how the dispositif/agencement shapes “political subjectivities” and, vice-versa, how these subjectivities “perform” the dispositif, thereby transforming it. Moreover, we would like to stress the importance of the notion of “power” in respect to technological hardware and software: power as “life” of a technology; power as the “energy” set free by technological apparatuses, etc.

More specifically, we will welcome proposals on the following topics:
media technology and microphysics/biopolitics;
media dispositif/agencement and agency: media dispositions and “media gestures”, media and cultural agencies in the second half of the XXth century and in the XXIst century, media hacking, media and protests/strikes, etc; media technologies of gender: media technology and Feminist Theory, discourses on media practices and gender;
media technology and Critical Race Theory;
media technologies and networks in post-industrial societies;
technologies, hardware and bodies: technology and embodiment, cyborgs, simians, cyberpunk culture, zombie media, etc.; media technology and the everyday life: amateur practices and power relations in the XXth century and XXIst century, discourses on media in everyday life; media hardware bricolage, hardware assembling/dismantling, hardware as a black box, etc. power and energy: “how integrated are the circuits between physical modes of energy and physiological sources, between physiology and the psyche” (Elsaesser 2016); power and the impact of connectivity, technological acceleration and the redefinition of temporality in the technological turbo-capitalistic societies (Crary 2013) etc. We invite you to send us proposals for papers or panels. The deadline for their submission is October, 25th 2017. Proposals should not exceed one page in length. Please make sure to attach a short CV (10 lines max). A registration fee (€ 150) will be applied. For more information, please contact us at (goriziafilmforum /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(goriziafilmforum /at/ gmail.com)>