[ecrea] Lecturer in Media and Social Theory, Department of Sociology

Thu Jun 01 17:45:56 GMT 2017

https://vacancies.essex.ac.uk/tlive_webrecruitment/wrd/run/ETREC107GF.open?VACANCY_ID=272663Co5z&WVID=9918109NEm&LANG=USA

If you are using an Apple product to complete your application we recommend you use Google Chrome as a web browser rather than Safari.

The University has a strong commitment to diversity and this means actively helping staff to combine work and home life effectively. The University recognises the importance of maintaining a healthy balance between work and other aspects of life and offers a comprehensive work life balance policy including a career break scheme.

We are proud to have a number of Equality and Diversity staff Networks including: Essex Women's Network, Parent's Network, Access Forum, Global Forum, Essex LGBT Alliance, Dignity and Respect Group
Job details

Job title
    Lecturer in Media and Social Theory, Department of Sociology
Job reference
    REQ00507
Application closing date
    06/06/2017
Location
    Colchester
Salary
    £39,324 - £46,924 per annum
Employment type
    Permanent, full-time
Job category/type
    Academic
Job description

The Department of Sociology is one of the founding departments of the University of Essex and offers a stimulating and supportive environment for the pursuit of teaching and research. It is currently ranked 27 in the QS World Rankings and has been in the top ten for the quality of its research in all the research assessment exercises since 1986.

We are seeking to appoint a Lecturer in Media and Social Theory to strengthen our research and teaching in this field. Applicants are invited who can bridge core sociological and social theory and more recent currents in media and cultural theory. Applicants will contribute to teaching across our core sociological analysis modules and to the degree BA Communications and Digital Media. They should have expertise in a substantive field of research and a publication plan for future REF programmes.

As a lecturer in Media and Social Theory, you will require a PhD in Sociology or an allied field and have experience in teaching at Undergraduate level in this field.

The candidate will also have high quality research and publication skills, the capacity to design, deliver and assess undergraduate and postgraduate modules in Digital Media/ Culture and Sociology and be able to engage and motivate students.

At the University of Essex internationalism is central to who we are and what we do. We are committed to being a cosmopolitan, internationally-oriented university that is welcoming to staff and students from all countries and a university where you can find the world in one place.

Please see the further detail link below for a full job description, person specification and more information relating to this post. We recommend you read this information carefully before making an application. Applications should be made on-line, but if you would like advice or help in making an application, or need information in a different format, please telephone the Resourcing Team (01206 874693/873521).

    *Further detail:  Lecturer in Media and Social Theory jobpack
    *More information: Working at the University