[ecrea] Cinematic Ethics & Globalization Workshop

Mon May 29 12:10:53 GMT 2017

*Cinematic Ethics & Globalization*
*
*
*Friday 2nd June, 09:00 - 17:00, University of Glasgow**
*
*
*
*Wolfson Medical Building, University Avenue, Glasgow, G12 8QQ*

Research into the cinematic exploration of ethics has grown rapidly since the 2000s into a flourishing new field. This workshop seeks to contextualise and broaden notions of what is considered ‘ethical cinema’, and to explore how cinema might be regarded as ‘doing ethics’, through a focused examination at the interdisciplinary nexus of film and philosophy. Drawing both on recent work in film-philosophy and on the long heritage of politically- and historically-inflected film theoretical traditions (e.g. debates surrounding so-called third cinema), this event will focus on how our understanding of questions of ethics in cinema inevitably also relates to the situation of films within our globalized world. By investigating the intersection between cinema, ethics, and globalization, this workshop will open up new perspectives on a number of issues and debates, such as how contemporary ethico-political cinema works today, how best to decolonise the current film-philosophical approach to ethics, to reflecting on the ethics of film-philosophy as a cultural practice in our globalized world.

/The event is free to attend. Please signup via our //Event/ <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cinematic-ethics-and-globalization-workshop-tickets-33525664164>/brite page / <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cinematic-ethics-and-globalization-workshop-tickets-33525664164>/here/ <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cinematic-ethics-and-globalization-workshop-tickets-33525664164>// <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cinematic-ethics-and-globalization-workshop-tickets-33525664164>/./

*Schedule*

9.00 – 9.30

Welcome and Registration

9.30 – 10.45

*Nike Jung *Fake News and Poetic Truth

*David Martin-Jones *A Cinematic Ethics of Hesitation: Encountering Transnational Histories in a World of Cinemas

10.45 – 11.15

Coffee (Atrium)

11.15 – 12.30
*Shohini Chaudhuri *The Alterity of the Image: The Distant Spectator and Films about the Syrian Revolution and War

*Anat Pick *Found Footage as Recuperative Ethical Practice

12.30 – 1.45

Lunch Break

1.45 – 3.00

*Chelsea Birks *Love, Genre, and Ethics in the Anthropocene

*Frederic Brayard *Ethics of Hyper-Chaos Cinema: The Principle of No Reason

3.00 – 3.30

Coffee (Atrium)

3.30 – 5.00

*Lucy Bolton *The ethical challenges of /Dreams of a Life/: the artistic assumption of a London life *Robert Sinnerbrink *The act of witnessing: cinematic ethics in /The Look of Silence/

Toby Neilson

PhD Candidate in Film & Television Studies
University of Glasgow

T: +447980463832
E: (t.neilson.1 /at/ research.gla.ac.uk)