Archive for October 2015

[ecrea] New book: Media, Materiality and Memory (Ashgate, Music and Material Culture Series)

Fri Oct 30 22:08:44 GMT 2015

I am pleased to announce the publication of my book, Media, Materiality
and Memory: Grounding the Groove (Ashgate, Music and Material Culture
Series).

"Media, Materiality and Memory: Grounding the Groove examines the
entwinement of material music objects, technology and memory in relation
to a range of independent record labels, including Sarah Records, Ghost
Box and Finders Keepers. Moving from Edison’s phonograph to digital
music files, from record collections to online archives, Roy argues that
materiality plays a crucial role in constructing and understanding the
territory of recorded sound. How do musical objects ‘write’ cultural
narratives? How can we unearth and reactivate past histories by looking
at yesterday’s media formats? What is the nature, and fate, of the
physical archive in an increasingly dematerialized world? In what ways
do physical and digital musical objects coexist and intersect? With its
innovative theoretical approach, the book explores the implications of
materialization in the fashioning of a musical world and its cultural
transmission. A substantial contribution to the field of music and
material culture studies, Media, Materiality and Memory also provides a
nuanced and timely reflection on nostalgia and forgetting in the digital
age."

More information can be found on the publisher’s website:
http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781472459480

With best wishes,

Elodie A. Roy