Archive for October 2015

[ecrea] AHRC studentships at Newcastle University

Sat Oct 24 08:42:53 GMT 2015

PhD Studentships in Media, Communication and Cultures Studies at Newcastle University

The School of Arts and Cultures at Newcastle University seeks outstanding applicants for our PhD programmes in Media, Communication and Cultural Studies. Fully-funded by the AHRC’s Northern Bridge Doctoral Training Partnership, successful students will be joining one of the strongest research units in the country and have the chance to progress their careers in a dynamic, creative and supportive environment.

The School invites applications in all areas of media, communication and cultural study but we are particularly interested in students who can help us build on our existing areas of research excellence in:

Journalism studies
Political communication
Intimacy, personal relationships and media
Digital media studies
Gender, identities, masculinities, and culture/media
Critical discourse analysis
To be eligible, you will need to hold an excellent undergraduate degree, have completed or be completing a Master’s degree in a relevant subject area, and have exciting plans for an original and significant PhD project. Being able to demonstrate a strong fit with our existing expertise and/or our unique research infrastructure will give you a clear advantage.

Students benefit from disciplinary and generic research training within an award-winning postgraduate research training programme within the Humanities and Social Sciences Higher Education Academy. Our PhD students also play a key role in our research culture including the Gender Research Group and other research networks such as the University’s Postcolonial Research and Cultural Significance of Place Groups. Our facilities include Culture Lab, a focal point for research in human-computer interaction and digital creative practice.

Studentships will be awarded on a competitive basis, are fully-funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council as part of the Northern Bridge Doctoral Training Partnership and include a tax free maintenance grant of £14,057p.a. (subject to review).

If you would like more information, please contact our Postgraduate Administrator by emailing (jane.hagger /at/ ncl.ac.uk). Northern Bridge Doctoral Training Partnership: http://www.northernbridge.ac.uk/
Deadline for applications: 5pm, 11th January 2016