Archive for October 2015

[ecrea] Media Activism Research Conference CFP

Mon Oct 05 02:52:37 GMT 2015

    Call for Proposals

    Media Activism Research Conference:

    A Gathering for Grassroots and Transformative Media

    May  12-15, 2016

    Lakehead  University, Orillia, Ontario, Canada

    Deadline for proposals Jan 15, 2016

    Mark your calendars! The Media Action Research Group (MARG) is
    organizing the Media Activism Research Conference (MARC), in
    Orillia, Ontario, Canada from May 12 - 15, 2016 and we want to see
    you there! The Conference will bring together researchers,
    activists, students, and community members interested in
    strengthening grassroots media through networking, knowledge
    sharing, and skill-sharing.

    MARC is an opportunity to develop collaborations and networks among
    anti-capitalist, feminist, anti-racist, trans, queer and Indigenous
    alternative media activists and activist-researchers by  sharing
    knowledge, skills and experiences on grassroots and transformative
    alternative media. How do media activists intervene against dominant
    media voices? How do women, people of colour, queer, trans and
    indigenous activists work to resist dominant discourses in media and
    to report on and support social movements? How do we practice
    anti-oppression politics to challenge power dynamics in some
    alternative media spaces? How do we develop capacities, build
    skills, and share or access resources in our communities of
    resistance? How do researcher-activists challenge dominant modes,
    methods and theories in order to engage with community and
    alternative media activism and activists in ways that amplify and
    support their/our work?

    The conference will emphasize knowledge co-production, reflection,
    collaboration, creativity, and the development of theoretical
    frameworks derived from practice and experience. It will explore
    autonomous, grassroots media production practices and voices
    typically excluded from mainstream media, across a range of genres
    including: community radio, zines, video activism, print media,
    online media, digital media, documentary film and video, hacktivism,
    media art, graffiti, podcasts, silkscreening, banners, blogs, and
    more. There will also be theme-based workshops on current activist
    campaigns allowing for participants to network, share knowledge and
    information, and collaborate across platforms and genres on the same
    topic.

    We will be organizing a pop-up art show on the last night of the
    conference, where participants can bring their media and art to
    showcase it, and we will also be showing any media work created
    during the conference.

    We encourage workshops to be participatory and interactive, and we
    are open to any and all formats, particularly those that disrupt or
    challenge the typical academic conference format. A computer lab is
    available for skill-shares requiring online access, and various
    technologies may be used--just let us know what you need.

    We are inviting proposals for workshops on the following topics, and
    more:

      *

        Video activism

      *

        Community radio, soundscapes, podcasts

      *

        Print media

      *

        Collective dynamics in media production

      *

        Feminist media, Sexuality and gender

      *

        Anti-racist and anti-colonial media

      *

        Queer and trans media

      *

        Online activism, hacktivism

      *

        Anti-capitalist & Anarchist media and culture

      *

        Protest media, Social movement media

      *

        Culture jamming, Politics of graffiti

      *

        Activist research in media & communication studies

      *

        Media arts and research creation

      *

        Media skill-sharing

      *

        Tar sands & pipeline activism in media

      *

        Missing and murdered Indigenous women in media

      *

        Police brutality and impunity in media

      *

        Sex work activism in media

    Proposalsshould be 250-300 words in length, describing the content
    and format of your workshop. You should also include a short bio of
    50-75 words of each person presenting or facilitating the workshop.
    The deadline for proposals is January 15, 2016, and notifications of
    acceptance will be sent out mid-February. Please submit proposals
    to: (info /at/ mediaactionresearch.org) <mailto:(info /at/ mediaactionresearch.org)>

    Our goal is to make the conference an accessible space and to
    facilitate the participation of anyone who would like to attend. The
    university is accessible to those with mobility needs, and
    accessible rooms are available in the residence. Please contact us
    if you wish to discuss accessibility needs. Travel subsidies are
    available to those with financial need. Food will be provided
    throughout the conference, and dietary preferences will be
    accommodated. Registration fees will be on a  sliding scale with
    reduced rates for students, under-employed and unemployed people,
    and early-bird rates. Parking passes will be provided and we
    encourage carpooling. We are committed to co-creating a zero waste
    conference.

    Accommodation will be available at a reduced rate at the university
    residence, or in local hotels. Camping is available at the nearby
    Bass Lake Provincial Park. Some limited billeting in local homes may
    also be possible.

    Orillia ON is about 125km north of Toronto in the heart of cottage
    country. There will be opportunities for outdoor activities such as
    canoeing or kayaking, collaborative sports, hiking, etc.

    For more information, check out:
    mediaactionresearch.org/event/summer-gathering/
    <http://mediaactionresearch.org/event/summer-gathering/>

    or email us at: (info /at/ mediaactionresearch.org)
    <mailto:(info /at/ mediaactionresearch.org)>