Archive for April 2015

[ecrea] Funded PhD studentships in the School of Media, Culture and Society, UWS

Thu Apr 23 09:04:02 GMT 2015

Expressions of interest and applications are welcome from those
interested in pursuing doctoral studies within the School of Media,
Culture and Society at the University of the West of Scotland. The
School has an impressive research culture. In REF 2014, across the two
major Units of Assessment to which our work was submitted, 86% and 88%
of the work overall was rated as internationally recognised (2* or
higher) with at least one-third of the work in each submission rated as
internationally excellent or world leading. In UoA 36 our research
environment was assessed as 100% internationally recognised (with 60%
internationally excellent - 3*). In this element of our submission, the
impact of our research was entirely graded at the highest two levels (3*
and 4*), with 30% considered to be ‘world leading’ (4*).

Currently we are seeking applications for PhD studentships in our
Cluster in Culture and Creativity, which address the following themes:

• Theoretically and critically informed practice-based work in film,
performance, popular and commercial music, visual arts, broadcasting,
digital media and creative writing
• Cultural policy and critical events studies including arts and
community regeneration, social impact and critical approaches to urban
regeneration
• Digital media, culture and society, including citizen/participatory
media, social media and cultural impediments to digital
inclusion/exclusion, digital media, cultural memory and archiving
• Place-based studies employing methodologies drawn from the arts and
humanities with a particular focus on diverse contexts of cultural
participation and cultural memory in Scotland
• Media studies including critical discourse analysis of news media and
work which engages with contemporary cultural politics, including
debates about social inclusion/exclusion, cultural production and
cultural entrepreneurship, and the politics of identity and belonging

Funding Notes:
UWS studentships offer an annual stipend of £13,863 per annum for three
years and payment of tuition fees (current value £3900). Funding will be
considered as part of a competitive round and there is no guarantee that
projects submitted by applicants will be awarded funding.

Studentships are open to Home/EU candidates with a first degree in a
relevant discipline. Non-EU students can apply, but will not receive the
stipend and will be required to pay fees.

Candidates must be available to commence their studies 1st October 2015.