Archive for April 2015

[ecrea] New Book on 3D Cinema

Fri Apr 03 13:10:02 GMT 2015

I'd like to alert readers to my new book publication with Palgrave Macmillan

3D Cinema: Optical Illusions and Tactile Experiences
by Miriam Ross
Hardcover 240 pages ISBN 9781137378569
http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/3d-cinema-miriam-ross/?K=9781137378569

WhenAvatar (2009) became the highest grossing movie of all time, it
marked a high point in 3D cinema's turbulent history. Although 3D cinema
draws in box-office takings that surpass 2D cinema, it continuously
emerges and disappears as a passing fad. Experiments with 3D
moving-images have been with us since the birth of cinema, and it is a
form of visual expression already seen by billions of twenty-first
century viewers, yet there is little understanding of how 3D cinema
operates as an art form. We know that it simultaneously uses depth modes
to approximate our visual reality and spectacular effects that go beyond
traditional perception, but we do not have an appropriate grasp of its
creative function. This book examines 3D cinema's unique visual regime
in order to understand the optical illusions and tactile experiences
that it presents.

A table of contents and the opening pages are available here
http://www.palgrave.com/resources/sample-chapters/9781137378569_sample.pdf

'Covering the optical and illusory quality of 3D from its Victorian
beginnings to its new digital dominance, Ross presents a new critical
perspective on 3D that should be required reading for anyone in the
field.' - Keith M. Johnston, University of East Anglia, UK

'With 3D Cinema Miriam Ross has finally written the book I've been
waiting for someone to write for years! This is a masterfully written,
thoughtful and thoroughly researched book that provides a rich account
of shifts in perception and visuality. Rather than understanding 3D as a
phenomenon specific to our digital times, Ross considers its connection
to the complex media history of stereoscopic illusions that goes back
200 years. This book is a must read for any serious film and screen
scholar!' - Angela Ndalianis, University of Melbourne, Australia

'Ross's trenchant book provides what the digital 3D era has long needed:
neither hyperbolic justification nor predictable praise for stereoscopic
cinema's few acknowledged masterpieces, but a sophisticated contribution
to cinema aesthetics, in which 3D emerges as a third regime of screen
entertainment, and one closely linked to contemporary fascination with
bodily experience.' - Ian Christie, Birkbeck College, University of
London, UK

If you would like a copy for journal reviews please contact
(reviews /at/ palgrave.com) <mailto:(reviews /at/ palgrave.com)>.