Archive for February 2015

[ecrea] CFP: The Fan Studies Network 2015 Conference

Fri Feb 13 19:09:13 GMT 2015

Call for papers:

THE FAN STUDIES NETWORK 2015 CONFERENCE
27-28th June 2015

University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK

Keynote Speakers:

Dr Lincoln Geraghty (University of Portsmouth, UK)

Dr Suzanne Scott (The University of Texas at Austin, USA)

For three years the Fan Studies Network has provided an enthusiastic and welcoming space for academics in all stages of study interested in fans and fandom to connect, share resources, and develop their research ideas. Following the success of our first two conferences, we are delighted to announce our third annual event: FSN2015, taking place over two days at the University of East Anglia, 27-28th June 2015.

FSN2015 will feature two keynote speakers, both of whom have made a dynamic impact on the field. The first will be Dr Lincoln Geraghty, author of Living with Star Trek: American Culture and the Star Trek Universe (IB Tauris, 2007), American Science Fiction Film and Television (Berg, 2009) and Cult Collectors: Nostalgia, Fandom and Collecting Popular Culture (Routledge, 2014). The second keynote will be Dr Suzanne Scott, who, in addition to her published work on fandom in journals such as New Media & Society and Transformative Works and Cultures, is currently working on her forthcoming book Revenge of the Fanboy: Convergence Culture and the Politics of Incorporation.

We invite abstracts of no more than 300 words for individual 20 minute papers that address any aspect of fandom or fan studies. We also welcome collated submissions for pre-constituted panels. We encourage new members, in all stages of study, to the network and welcome proposals for presentations on, but not limited to, the following possible topics:

- Activism and fandom

- Pedagogy and Fandom

- Non technological practices in fandom

- Fan conventions

- Fandom and conflict

- Fan labour
- Non-Western fan cultures
- Ethics and methodology in fan studies
- Defining fandom
- Anti-Fandom and Non-Fandom

- Fan use of social media platforms

- Fandom (and) controversies

- Transculture and fandom

- The future of fan studies

We also invite expressions of interest (100- 200 words) from anyone wishing to host a short session of ‘speed geeking’. This would involve each speaker chairing a short discussion on a relevant topic of their choosing, and then receiving valuable feedback, making it ideal for presenting in-progress or undeveloped ideas. If you have any questions about this format of presentation, please contact Richard McCulloch at (mccullochr /at/ regents.ac.uk).

Please send any enquires/abstracts to: (fsnconference /at/ gmail.com) by SUNDAY 22RD MARCH.

You can find out more information on http://fanstudies.wordpress.com/ or talk about the event on Twitter using #FSN2015.

Conference Organisers:

Lucy Bennett and Tom Phillips (FSN chairs)

Bertha Chin, Bethan Jones, Richard McCulloch, Rebecca Williams (FSN board)

--
Dr. Bertha Chin
Independent Scholar