[ecrea] CFP Computers & Composition

Mon Mar 17 14:46:03 GMT 2014

Computers & Composition 32.3 (Special Fall 2015 Issue)

Thinking Globally, Composing Locally: Digital Composition for the International Media Ecosystem

EDITORS

Kirk St.Amant, East Carolina University
Rich Rice, Texas Tech University

OVERVIEW

Digital media have permanently changed how we think about writing processes. By removing many conventional barriers of time and space, technological affordances allow us to reach broadly distributed global audiences instantly and directly. Moreover, the international adoption of information communication technologies (ICTs) means the messages one creates in a local setting (e.g., a local community meeting or a neighborhood coffee shop) can be read, shared, commented on, or re-purposed by persons with a range of linguistic, cultural, and national backgrounds in the international media ecosystem. This online global context, however, raises a range of key questions for how global readers think about rhetoric and composition and how we teach digital composing practices to our students.

o What do factors of language, culture, international economics, and global geopolitics mean for how we teach composition in the age of the global Internet?

o How do language, culture, and geopolitics affect how we compose messages for globally distributed audiences?

o What variables must we consider and what approaches can we use to better understand and address communication needs inside and outside the classroom?

o What approaches can we use to provide students with meaningful and successful educational experiences in relation to vastly disparate global online contexts?

TOPICS

o How aspects of local infrastructure (power supply, WAN/LAN connections, broadband speed) affect composition practices in global online contexts

o How legal aspects such as software registration, copyright issues, open vs. closed/proprietary technologies impact composition practices in global networked environments

o How mobile technologies can play a interactive role in global online teaching, learning, and composing

o How late-20th century theories of culture and international communication (e.g., those of Edward T. Hall, Geert Hofstede, Arjun Appadurai, Roland Robertson, Manuel Castells) need to be retooled in the 21st century to address the new online nature of composing for global audiences

o How locally contextualized educational practices should be adapted to teach composition in global classrooms

o How do we consider, navigate, and address different cultural rhetorical conventions when teaching writing and composition in international online contexts

o How different uses of technology to provide online instruction in writing and composition (e.g., MOOCs, social media, content management systems) should be reviewed with an eye toward offering instruction to globally distributed online audiences.

PROPOSALS

400-500 word proposals for this special issue are due to the guest editors by (4/15/2014), and they should include

o Topic and focus of the proposed article
o Method to be used to examine or explore this topic
o Objective of the examination of this proposed article
o Connections to previous research in the field
o An outline of the topics that will be covered in the article.

Send questions and proposals to the guest editors at (kirk.stamant /at/ gmail.com) and (rich.rice /at/ ttu.edu).

TIMELINE

o Proposals due: April 15, 2014
o Invitations to submit full articles: May 15, 2014
o Draft manuscripts due: September 15, 2014
o Reviews returned: November 15, 2014
o Revised manuscripts due: February 15, 2015
o Final decisions to authors: April 1, 2015
o Special issue published: September, 2015

---
Dr. Rich Rice, Associate Professor
Director, TTU English Media Lab
http://richrice.com