[ecrea] CounterPlay '14

Sun Feb 02 10:25:16 GMT 2014

CounterPlay ‘14 is a festival and conference that in the pursuit of exploring play and games investigates the intersections between playful culture, playful learning and playful business.

April 3-4, 2014. Aarhus, Denmark
Registration deadline: March 10, 2014.
Information, programme and registration, please visit www.counterplay.org

“Referring to ludicor playful vitality in its most transformative expressions, counterplay speaks directly to the disruptive creation of the new through the reiterations of gaming” (Apperley & Dieter).

CounterPlay is a tribute to and an exploration of the many ways, in which a more playful approach can help us live better lives. We focus on the excitement, intense engagement and rich experiences of people involved in playing experiences. This sparks an investigation of how play can be transformative, change our thinking, push our boundaries and lead us places, we never imagined. We want to break down barriers, further insights and contribute to the slowly evolving and widening perceptions of what play and games are and can be. We want to establish a stronger foothold for informed conversations about play and games everywhere. These conversations make up a necessary prerequisite forthe exploration of how games can impactour lives. Our focus is the different purposes that play and games serve. We think of this very broadly, and we acknowledge that play can be its own purpose. Games are never “just games”, but rather a medium with a potential to impact. CounterPlay consists of a conference, where central keynote speakers, panel sessions, and unconference elements offer awide selection of talks. Furthermore creative workshops allow for everything from experimenting with games in education, learning how to write and talk about games, to brainstorming new concepts and developing prototypes. CounterPlay is, also about actually playing, and we will create a “magiccircle”, a safe space for participants to meet in play, and to experiment with all kinds of games and playful activities.

For information and registration please visit www.counterplay.org.

Camilla Møhring Reestorff
Department of Aesthetics and Communication
University of Aarhus
Jens Chr. Skous Vej 7, 1485/536
8000 Århus C - Denmark
Tlf: (+45) 871 63181 / (+45) 22783252