Archive for March 2014

[ecrea] [housekeeping] ECREA website down - mailing list remains operational - but sub/unsub form and archive down

Sun Mar 30 15:25:41 GMT 2014

Dear list members,

The ECREA website is down, because TextDrive, where the pages were hosted, went out of business. Its obituary is below.

This also implies that the ECREA mailing list form (for subscribing and unsubscribing, but this page also has the mailing list guidelines) and the ECREA mailing list archive are out of order.

I do apologise for the inconvenience, and I can assure you that the ECREA Executive Board is working hard to resolve the problem.

To avoid any misunderstandings: *The ECREA mailing list itself will remain operational*, because I'm using my VUB/ULB university server for this. Only the subscription and unsubscription form, the mailing list guidelines and the mailing list archive are currently unavailable.

* For now, if you want to unsubscribe, you'll have to email me. Please do make sure to mention with which email address you've subscribed to the list. * Re: guidelines, I guess everybody by now knows that postings should be emailed to me (at (nico.carpentier /at/ vub.ac.be)), and that they should be PLAIN TEXT only (with no pictures, no links, no html and no attachments). * For the mailing list archive, we have to wait for the main ECREA website to be migrated to another server (a process which already started).

I will keep you posted.

Kind regards,
Nico
ECREA mailing list manager

+++

 TextDrive is no longer in business :(

TextDrive is no longer in business. If you are seeing this page you did not migrate per the notice that was posted on discuss.textdrive.com.

   As anyone looking for decent support or even useful information over
   the past few months can attest, the revival of TextDrive has not
   been a success.

   What began in mid-2012 as an exciting challenge fuelled by good
   intentions and lean resources quickly turned into a cleanup project
   with almost no resources.

   It is disappointing to report that after a year and a half of uphill
   battles and unimagined setbacks, after several costly efforts to
   regroup and find another way, options to keep TextDrive growing have
   run out, and we will cease operations on the 14th of March, 2014.

   For those who wish to know, details of what went wrong will be made
   available once shutdown operations have completed.

   Sorry to have let you down.

   Dean

ex-TextDrive staff are assisting in their own time to get what data TextDrive still had after Ubiquity Hosting nuked the drives in the servers.

Request your tarball <http://discuss.kaizengarden.co/viewtopic.php?id=104> and be patient. Amazon Glacier is a slow slow system to get data to restore ready. Not all data made it's way to Amazon Glacier and others that were on servers in New York that were in the process of being acquired were nuked unfortunately so that set of backups is gone gone.

The backups are in Virtualmin's backup format. Hosts that use Virtualmin (i.e. Kaizen Garden <http://kaizengarden.co/>) are able to restore those backups onto their shared hosting servers using Virtualmin's restore functionality.

   In the Press

   * Wired: Why Turning Your Customers Into ‘Mini-VCs’ Isn’t a Great
     Idea <http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2014/03/textdrive/>
   * The Web Host Industry Review: TextDrive ‘Lifetime’ Customer
     Accounts to End This Week
     <http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/textdrive-lifetime-customer-accounts-end-week>

   Some TextDrive users comments

   * TextDrive Shutdown Countdown
     <http://prettygoodhat.com/2014-03-08-TextDrive_Shutdown_Countdown_briefly.html>
   * RIP TextDrive <http://dudenbostel.leanside.com/2014/03/rip-textdrive/>

Nico Carpentier
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
T: + 32 (0)2-629.24.45
F: + 32 (0)2-629.36.84
Office: 5B.401
New publication:
Special journal issue on Histories of Media(ted) Participation
Edited by Nico Carpentier&  Peter Dahlgren
CM - Communication Management Quarterly, Nr. 30 (2014)
Free to download from: http://www.cost-transforming-audiences.eu/system/files/pub/CM30-SE-Web.pdf
----------------------------
New report:
Sociaal engagement, maatschappelijk middenveld en online media (in Dutch)
Free to download from: http://www.kbs-frb.be/publication.aspx?id=309904&langtype=2067
Engagement social, société civile et médias en ligne (in French)
Free to download from: http://www.kbs-frb.be/publication.aspx?id=309904&langtype=2060
International Association for Media and Communication Research
http://www.iamcr.org/
E-mail: (nico.carpentier /at/ vub.ac.be)