Archive for March 2014

[ecrea] New Journal Launch

Sun Mar 23 18:05:41 GMT 2014

After months of planning and preparation the new journal Porn Studies is finally out! Our first issue (a double one) is available online for free (until May 31). http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rprn20/1/1-2#.Uyyj-16yOPY

Oxford, UK, March 2014

Routledge Journals Publishes Porn Studies

March 2014 – Routledge (Taylor & Francis Group) publish the first double issue of Porn Studies, the premier dedicated, international, peer-reviewed journal tocritically explore those cultural products and services designated as pornographic and their cultural, economic, historical, institutional, legal and social contexts. Porn Studies is edited by Professor Feona Attwood of Middlesex University and Professor Clarissa Smith of the University of Sunderland and supported by an international editorialboard including: Constance Penley, Brian McNair, Lynn Comella, Martin Barker, Susanna Paasonen and Alan McKee.

Professor Gerard Goggin, University of Sydney comments on the journal’s inaugural issues:

“Finally we have a journal that brings together the urgently needed research, theories, and debates to make sense of an important aspect of social and cultural life. The breadth, depth, and richness of its packed first issue confirms its promise as a platform, not only for understanding pornography - but as a space for new, adventurous, genuinely cosmopolitan rethinking of many of the things about identity, bodies, power, belonging, media, and contemporary reality that we take-for-granted, but still know too little about.”

In their introduction to the first, doubleissue of the journal Attwood and Smith outlined why this new journal is needed: “Perhaps one of the most important reasons for Porn Studies is the very topicality of pornography; we believe it is the right time to launch this journal because the subject is so politically and emotionally charged. Pornography has a public presence as an object of concern and as a metaphor used to designate the boundaries of the public space.

Articles by leading scholars identify some of the leading themes in pornography research today:

Utilising data from more than 5000responses to an online questionnaire, Martin Barker’s ‘The “Problem” of Sexual Fantasies’ explores understandings of the relations between pornography and sexual imaginaries.

Fears about what children might belearning from pornography have been centre stage for some time, in ‘Porn and Sex Education, Porn as Sex Education’, Kath Albury addresses those concerns and their intersections with other issues around young people’s sexual practices, sexual self-representation and sexual knowledge.

In ‘Studying Porn Cultures’ Lynn Comella suggests a ‘porn studies-in-action’ and exhorts researchers to ‘leave the confines of our offices, and spend time in the places where pornography is made, distributed and consumed, discussed and debated, taught and adjudicated’.

Read these and more free online until 31 May 2014.

Further endorsements for Porn Studies: http://bit.ly/PornStudiesEndorsements

A selection of call for papers for issues of Porn Studies can be found here:
http://bit.ly/rprncfp

Clarissa Smith
Professor
Centre for Research in Media & Cultural Studies

Co-editor, Porn Studies: http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/rprn20

Reviews Editor, Participations: Online Journal of Audience & Reception Studies, http://www.participations.org

http://www.clarissasmith.co.uk