Archive for March 2014

[ecrea] The Children's Media Conference 2014 Call for Papers

Thu Mar 13 08:35:37 GMT 2014

The CMC Research Advisory Sub-Committee is delighted to announce this year's call for papers to be presented at the 2014 Children's Media Conference in Sheffield on the 3rd and 4th of July.

Please respond to Jacqui Wells at (administrator /at/ thechildrensmediaconference.com)

The Research Strand of the Children's Media Conference (CMC) is a crucially important and popular part of this annual event, which attracts over 900 children's media professionals to Sheffield every year. The wide variety of topics discussed can be seen in last year's programme: http://www.thechildrensmediaconference.com/events/cmc2013/2013-sessions/

The Conference theme for 2014 is "Child@Heart" and we’re especially interested in research that pertains to children’s perspectives on media of all kinds; what makes up their daily lives, their attitudes, expectations, enthusiasms and ambitions? What do they want more of, are bored of, look forward to and expect from media?

Please find below the CMC Call for Papers document with details on research themes, submission criteria and key dates.

The deadline for submissions is Friday 14th March.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

The CMC Research Advisory Sub-Committee

RESEARCH STRAND 2014

‘CALL FOR PAPERS’

January 2014

Introduction:

The Research Strand of the Children’s Media Conference (CMC) is a crucially important and popular part of this annual event, which attracts over 900 children’s media professionals to Sheffield every year. The Conference takes place from the 2nd to 4th July in 2014.

www.thechildrensmediaconference.com

The content shared during the research sessions is always eagerly anticipated by delegates and the research strand’s role is to provide valuable insights and thought provoking research to the children’s media community. The research presented may also be incorporated into other conference sessions as appropriate, to disseminate it more widely, and to inform discussions on a variety of topics.

The wide variety of topics discussed and the range of types of presentation at the Conference can be seen in last year’s programme:http://www.thechildrensmediaconference.com/events/cmc2013/2013-sessions/

The CMC Research Advisory Sub-Committee is delighted to announce this year’s call for papers to be presented at the 2013 Children’s Media Conference in Sheffield on the 3rd and 4th July.

Broad Themes:

The Conference theme for 2014 is “Child@heart”. Although not all sessions may address this theme, all presenters and producers will be asked to consider how they can make their content relevant to it.

We’re especially interested in research that pertains to Children’s perspectives on media of all kinds, what makes up their daily lives, their attitudes, expectations, enthusiasms and ambitions. What do they want more of, are bored of, look forward to and expect from media?

We are keen to hear your thoughts on suitable, relevant and thought provoking content which can be shared.

We are open to submissions relating to children aged 0-14 years of age. Some areas which could be considered are;

- Up-to-date findings regarding children’s behaviour, media consumption, opinions, interests and aspirations, connected with media use

- Exploration of how the media informs children’s views

- The role of the media in children’s lives and trends in children’s behaviour and use of media

- Future Projections regarding children’s media, technology usage and consumption

- Looking ahead and exploring what we have to consider around co-viewing across any media platform and how it might be changing in the future

- Exploration of second screen activity by children and young people

- Exploration of habits and preference in the VOD sphere (e.g. YouTube, NetFlix, iPlayer)

- Exploration of accessing video, social activity and gaming on mobile devices

- Commercial data which can be shared is highlyvalued at the conference as few delegates have easy access to it –

o What does success look like in the business of content production or distribution?

o What are the market shares amongst the key brands?

o How are sectors growing or changing?

o What categories of content are trending?

o Which age groups are well served, commercially important, or underserved?

Please note these are merely ideas and suggestions. The list is not meant to be prescriptive and we are keen to hear your thoughts about suitable, relevant and thought-provoking content which can be shared.

Submission Criteria

This year we are very keen to includeresearch from industry bodies and regulatory organisations. We are open to your thoughts and ideas on how you may contribute to the conference.

We understand you may already have a wealth of research data that could be compiled and tweaked to suit our audience. We would use this information to inform the research strand and complement the outcomes of other sessions at the Children’s Media Conference.Initially, we will require an outline of your proposed researchtopic and a description of the research data and potential outcomes.

Over the years we have been able to identify the types of sessions which achieve the most success with the audience at the conference. Below is an outline of the submissions considerations we ask of our research agencies and academics and where possible your submissions should reflect the following;

* Relevance to the audience (please look at the delegate guide from last year to give you an impression of the wide range of delegates who attend CMC): http://www.thechildrensmediaconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CMC-Online-Delegate-List-20135.pdf

* An emphasis on findings, not methodology (this is the key to a successful presentation). Each session lasts only 30 minutes and need to move directly to “value added”
* Clear and concise action points for the audience to take away and use
* Long-term research which enables us to better understand the past, explore and predict the future * Wide research which brings good statistical evidence to bear and provides a good basis for market understanding
* Fresh insights which are relevant to today’s children’s media landscape
* A unique angle/area which has not yet been explored

NB Research sessions on Conference Day 1 (Thursday 3rd) are repeated on Day 2 (Friday 4th) and so you need to be available to present on both days.

For the purposes of contrast please see all the sessions headed “Research” in last year’s programme:http://www.thechildrensmediaconference.com/events/cmc2013/2013-sessions/

Submission Process and Deadlines:

1. Please submit a 400-word abstract detailing your proposed research topic including where appropriate objectives, methods and potential outcomes. 2. Submit your entry to Jacqui Wells, CMC Administrator, at the following email (addressadmin /at/ thechildrensmediaconference.com) by Friday 14th March 2014. 3. Submissions will be reviewed by the CMC Research Advisory Sub-Committee. The committee members are from a variety of backgrounds; Research industry, academia, client-side and agencies.Successful applicants will be notified by Thursday 17th April 2014. 4. If you are selected, your final presentation will be required by Friday 30th May. This is to allow the producers to identify any other sessions that the research content may be further utilised. This will increase the coverage your research session will have across the conference. 5. The CMC Sponsorship Coordinator will email you with an in-kind sponsorship agreement. You will receive 2 complimentary passes for the conference. By Monday 2 June you need to send Jacqui Wells ((admin /at/ thechildrensmediaconference.com)) 1 jpeg company logo and 1 eps company logo for use on print and on the CMC website. 6. Research sessions will take place on Thursday 3rd July throughout the day and will all be repeated on Friday 4th Julyto maximise their potential audience. You will be advised of the timings of the session by email.

Key Dates - 2014

Proposals to be received by Friday 14th March

Successful Applicants notified by Thursday 17th April

Final Presentations submitted Friday 30th May

Logos submitted Monday 2nd June

Presentations at Conference Thursday 3rd and Friday 4th July

Notes

NB: We will seek to publish the presentations and associated video on the CMC website immediately after the conference. Please indicate in your proposal if elements, or all of, your planned presentationwill not be suitable for this.

The CMC PR agency will be seeking newresearch which stimulates press interest in the run-up to the Conference. Again, it is important for us to know if your research is embargoed or should not be featured in this way.

It is your responsibility to clear with research subjects and partners your right to present the research at the conference (and if possible online) and to clear all content in your presentation for display at the conference to a live audience.

Please ensure you are able to present on both Thursday 3rd and Friday 4th July. If you have any issues with availability then please let us know when you submit your abstract.

For further clarification or to discuss anything please email:

Shazia Ali (Producer, CMC Research Strand 2014)(shazia /at/ mintresearch.co.uk)

Btisam Belola (Producer, CMC Research Strand 2014)(Btisam /at/ bbri.co.uk)

SUBMISSIONS: FAO Jacqui Wells, CMC (Administratoradmin /at/ thechildrensmediaconference.com)

by Friday 14th March 2014