Archive for April 2012

[ecrea] "Timeline of Historical Film Colors" now online

Tue Apr 24 16:54:09 GMT 2012

I am very excited to announce that my database of historical film colors is now online. It consists of approximately 240 entries, illustrated with approximately 400 images from archives and private collections:

http://www.zauberklang.ch/colorsys.php

<http://www.zauberklang.ch/colorsys.php>

In its current form the database is a nucleus for a much more advanced project which will be elaborated in the forthcoming months. It is my plan to develop a collaborative platform which allows experts and researchers to collaborate on a global scale.

Many renowned scholars and institutions have contributed already:

http://www.zauberklang.ch/acknowledgements.html

To date, I have been solely responsible not only for gathering and analyzing all of the data, which derives from my studies of several hundred original papers and secondary sources at Harvard University in the fall term of 2011, but also for programming most of the database and organizing all the images and copyright clearances. Only to a very limited extent have I received financial support from the Swiss National Science Foundation in the framework of my research project "Film History Re-mastered" (see abstract and further information on the university's research database <http://www.research-projects.uzh.ch/p15584.htm>). Thus I had to finance a major part from my private means.

Therefore I have set up a crowd-funding campaign to invite you to support the further development of the project, either by sharing it or by contributing financially. It is my goal to collect at least $10,000 in the upcoming 90 days. There are several levels, starting at $25 for buying the rights for one image and extending to $5,000 for possible co-chairs of this project:
http://www.indiegogo.com/colorprocesses

I am very grateful for any kind of support! And I would be more than happy to give you proper credit for your conceptual or financial contribution.

Yours sincerely,

Barbara Flueckiger

Prof. Dr. Barbara Flueckiger

Institute of Cinema Studies