Archive for March 2012

[ecrea] New book: Misunderstanding the Internet by James Curran, Natalie Fenton, Des Freedman

Mon Mar 19 10:35:33 GMT 2012

'Misunderstanding the Internet' by James Curran, Natalie Fenton and Des
Freedman is a short introduction, encompassing the history, sociology,
politics and economics of the internet and its impact on society. The book
has a simple three part structure:

* Part 1 looks at the history of the internet, and offers an overview of
the internet’s place in society
* Part 2 focuses on the control and economics of the internet
* Part 3 examines the internet’s political and cultural influence

'Misunderstanding the Internet' is a polemical, sociologically and
historically informed textbook that aims to challenge both popular myths
and existing academic orthodoxies around the internet.

"Misunderstanding the Internet is the book I have been waiting for since
the late 1990s. It is a superb examination of the Internet, how we got to
this point and what our options are going forward. James Curran, Natalie
Fenton and Des Freedman have combined to produce a signature work in the
political economy of communication. They have combined hard research with
piercing insight and a general command of the pertinent literature. This
is a book I will be using in my classes for years to come."
Robert W. McChesney, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA

"This clear-sighted book provides a sometimes provocative yet solidly
grounded guide through the competing claims and hyperbole that surround
the internet’s place in society. Deeply sceptical about the transformative
potential of the internet, the authors combine an incisive history of the
recent past with a call to action to embed public values in the internet
of the future."
Sonia Livingstone, LSE, UK

"A deliciously fact-driven corrective to Internet hype of all kinds.
Highly recommended."
Fred Turner, Stanford University, USA

Details at: http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415579582/

The book will be launched at the Goldsmiths Leverhulme Media Research
Centre's conference, 'Media, Power and Revolution: Making the 21st
Century', from 6.30pm-8pm on Monday 2 April, Senate House, Malet Street,
London WC1. Details at: http://powerandrevolution.eventbrite.co.uk/

Des Freedman
Reader in Communications and Cultural Studies
Department of Media and Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW