Archive for January 2011

[ecrea] A Manifesto for Media Education

Mon Jan 24 08:02:50 GMT 2011

My colleague Pete Fraser and I would like to draw your attention to a project we are co-ordinating entitled â??A Manifesto for Media Educationâ??.

The manifesto project is an attempt to develop a shared understanding, some shared reasons, for media education. We hope that by the end of the project (which will start life as a website and then result in a book) we will have a better, more sustaining understanding of the purpose of what we do and that we will be able to draw on this understanding to keep us on track in the classroom and in defending and advocating our subject in the future.

To kick-start the manifesto we asked a few media educators to provide us with their view on the purpose of media education (media studies/practice/production and media literacy). On the website you will find contributions from? Prof Henry Jenkins, Prof Natalie Fenton, Prof David Gauntlett, Prof David Buckingham, Cary Bazalgette, Nik Powell, Dr Julian McDougall, Prof David Hesmondhalgh, Vítor Reia-Baptista, Dr Nick Potamitis

This initial set of contributions is only a starting point and is not supposed to represent the breadth and depth of our subject. Thatâ??s where you come in? I hope you will visit the website http://www.manifestoformediaeducation.co.uk/ read the initial contributions, comment on those contributions and then write your own more lengthy rationale

Thanks
Jon

jon wardle
director, the centre for excellence in media practice
the media school, bournemouth university
01202 965907
www.cemp.ac.uk