Archive for December 2010

[ecrea] CFP "Postdigital Encounters" JMP Symposium - deadline 15 Jan

Mon Dec 13 15:51:03 GMT 2010

Dear All,

Reminder that the call for Papers for the JMP Symposium is closing on 15th January (full details below) - we've already had a couple of submissions and it's shaping up to be a very interesting event. Please watch our blog http://postdigi.wordpress.com for more information on the programme and venue after the call closes in mid-January.

Looking forward to receiving your abstracts, and hopefully seeing you there.

Best wishes and happy Christmas,

Charlotte

Apologies for cross-posting

Call for Papers: â??Postdigital Encounters: Creativity and Improvisationâ??
Journal of Media Practice Symposium, 24 June 2011
Hosted by the Digital Cultures Research Centre and the Creative Media Research Group, University of the West of England

http://postdigi.wordpress.com/

Deadline for Abstracts: 15 January 2011

This one-day symposium seeks to explore how digital technologies have redefined creativity and media practice within the academy both in terms of teaching and research. Whether or not our research questions and/or curriculum deal directly with the â??digitalâ??, those of us involved in creative media practice are inevitably working within a new media landscape in which digital technologies disrupt our received notions of media practice education and research.

Recent debates have challenged the idea that the capacity for creative improvisation is exercised by individuals against the conventions of culture and society. Instead, the suggestion is that improvisation and creativity are intrinsic to the very processes of social and cultural life (Hallam and Ingold 2007). At the same time we are working within a milieu of digital â??disruptionâ?? (Christensen, 1997) in which rapid developments in the â??technologies, economic organization, and social practices of productionâ?? have created â??new opportunities for how we make and exchange information, knowledge, and cultureâ?? (Benkler, 2006).

The 2011 Journal of Media Practice symposium wishes to explore the implications of these developments across the field of Media Practice, and to consider the changing context within which we find ourselves teaching and creating media. How are the traditional binaries between different ways of working and different contexts relevant to the contemporary media landscape? In a landscape where â??new formulations of knowledge afforded by the web are breaking down the distinctions between the university and the â??real Worldâ??â?? (Dovey and Lister, 2009), how does media practice sit within the academy in this â??postdigitalâ?? age (Pepperell and Punt, 2000)? What is now the role of media practice research in the ecosystems of the â??creative economyâ???

Possible areas to consider:
â?¢     Pervasive media, mixed reality and the proliferation of screens
â?¢     Transmedia storytelling in a multiplatform world
â?¢     Adding value to media assets through metadata tagging
â?¢ Locative media, context aware platforms and new forms of â??experience designâ?? â?¢ Digital natives and digital immigrants â?? teaching, learning and making
â?¢     Co-collaboration, participatory practices and new forms of authorship
â?¢     Accessibility, social inclusion and the Internet.
â?¢ Digital distribution as a tool for creating REF â??Impactâ?? for media practice research

Abstracts of 250 words are invited for 20-minute papers and/or presentations of practice on any aspect of this theme. We also invite pre-formed 90-minute panels (3 x 20-minute papers, plus questions), and one-hour practical workshops on any aspect of digital media practice, stating clearly any AV requirements.

Abstracts should be sent by email attachment to Charlotte Crofts at mailto:(charlotte.crofts /at/ uwe.ac.uk), with the subject line â??JMP Symposiumâ??, by the 15 January 2011. Please save your file as YOURNAME_JMP Abstract.doc and include your name and contact details at the bottom of the abstract.

Papers will be considered for a themed edition of JMP edited by Judith Aston and practice research work will be considered for an edition of ScreenWork edited by Charlotte Crofts (further details to be announced at the symposium).