[ecrea] Qualitative Research For Policy Making 2010

Thu Sep 24 14:08:01 GMT 2009

International Conference:
    QUALITATIVE RESEARCH FOR POLICY MAKING 2010
Meeting the opportunities and challenges of applying qualitative
research in policy environments
14 & 15 January 2010, Malta

Dear Ecrea Members,

The Merlien Institute will be holding an International conference on
Qualitative Research for Policy Making 2010 on the 14 & 15 January 2010
in Malta. This highly interactive, cross-disciplinary conference will
bring together policy researchers and practitioners to discuss best
practices on how to use qualitative research for underpinning policy
making.

Who should attend?
This international conference will be conducted in English and
participants who will realise the greatest benefit are qualitative
researchers from think-tanks, NGOs, Universities, National Agencies,
Supranational and European-level Institutions. To see a list of our
confirmed attendees, please visit our event website at:
<http://www.merlien.org/upcoming-events/qrpm-eu.html>
http://www.merlien.org/upcoming-events/qrpm-eu.html

Programme highlights include:
>Engaging in effective dialogues: how can researchers, policymakers and
practitioners talk better to each other?
>Avoiding pitfalls in communicating qualitative research to
stakeholders: learning from past rejections
>Applying the concept of 'generalisation' while delivering qualitative
research results for policy making
>Using systematic reviews and syntheses of qualitative research to
inform policy making
>Developing strategies to convince stakeholders of the validity of
qualitative research findings
>Convincing decision makers to take account of and use of qualitative
evidence to underpin policy decisions
>Anticipating 'hot issues' for policy makers to be in a position to
report quickly to new developments
>Ensuring successful inter-professional collaboration when dealing with
highly complex research projects
>Maximising the opportunities for qualitative research to enter into
policy environments
>Discussing best practices on how to write and report qualitative
research findings to stakeholders and clients

Interactive Panel Discussion:
This conference will include an interactive panel discussion led by Dr
Giuseppe Veltri, Scientific Fellow from the Joint Research Centre of the
European Commission. Giuseppe will be facilitating an interactive panel
discussion on the challenges and opportunities of applying qualitative
research in policy environments. Topics of discussion include: what are
the implications of qualitative research methodologies coming from
non-academic (policy) perspective? How can we incorporate qualitative
research in large-scale policy advisory projects? What are the
differences in applying inter-coder reliability, time management and
recursive coding in academic and non-academic environments?

Take advantage of this unique opportunity to discuss best practices with
your peers in an informal and (fun) networking environment. This two-day
conference includes all documentation and lunches on both days. Due to
the nature of this small-group conference, seats are limited. To secure
your seat, please register before 31 October to benefit from the
early-bird discount. To register now, please visit:
http://www.merlien.org/upcoming-events/qrpm-eu.html

Kindly forward this mail to your colleagues or friends whom you think
might benefit from attending this conference. Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Jasper Lim
Conference Director
Merlien Institute (European Liaison Office)
Tel: +31 6 34345901 Fax: +31 10 751 2281

Merlien Institute, 14 Robinson Road, #13-00 Far East Finance Building,
Singapore 048545 | Reg. No. 53142108B | Web:  <http://www.merlien.org/>
http://www.merlien.org