[ecrea] rethinking youth cultures in the age of global media: seminar 3

Tue Sep 15 16:38:58 GMT 2009

ESRC Seminar Series
Rethinking Youth Cultures in the Age of Global Media

Seminar 3: Tuesday 10th November 2009, 11.00 ­ 5.00
London Knowledge Lab, Institute of Education
23-29 Emerald Street, London WC1

The third one-day seminar in this continuing series will focus more strongly
on the ?global? dimensions of our theme. How are the relations between the
global and the local configures and reconfigured in contemporary youth
cultures? What opportunities do new media provide for the creation of
transnational or global youth cultures? To what extent ­ and in what ways ­
do we need to rethink established notions of youth culture in the global
context?

Speakers will include:
Sunaina Maira (University of California Davis) - Citizenship and Dissent:
South Asian Muslim Youth in the US After 9/11
Kyong Won Yoon (University of British Columbia, Canada) ­ The Emergence of
Intra-Asian Youth Cultural Practices
Hilary Pilkington (University of Warwick) ­ ?Skinhead is a movement of
action?: Local, national and global tropes in contemporary skinhead ?ideology?
Liesbeth de Block (institute of Education) ­ Youth, media and migration:
balancing the local and the global

We also intend to have a panel featuring short presentations from PhD
students involved in the network.

Places are limited! If you intend to come, please reply to
(youthculture /at/ ioe.ac.uk) as soon as possible. Further details and a programme
will follow in due course.

David Buckingham (IOE), Sara Bragg and Mary Jane Kehily (Open University)