[ecrea] 1st Asian edition of the Computer-Aided Qualitative Research

Wed Jul 15 09:32:12 GMT 2009

About the workshop:
After two very successful CAQR workshops in Europe, Merlien Institute
will be holding the 1st Asian edition of the Computer-Aided Qualitative
Research workshop on the 3 & 4 February 2010 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
This workshop is organised by the Merlien Institute and supported by the
Action Research Journal (SAGE). This unique, highly interactive and
cross-disciplinary workshop will bring together qualitative researchers,
practitioners and students to discuss key issues on the use of
technology and software in qualitative research.

Key objectives of the workshop:
>Developing a deeper understanding on the implications of software
choice on research
>Promoting best practices for the use of technology and software in
qualitative research
>Providing networking opportunities for participants to form peer
research networks

Workshop format:
To encourage maximium interaction and development of knowledge and ideas
during the workshop, we have limited the number of participants to a
maximum of 50. The format of the workshop will consist of submitted
(reviewed) presentations, poster presentations, invited speeches, panel
discussions and a brainstorming workshop. As with past events, this
workshop will provide excellent opportunities for participants to
network with their peers.

Call for Presentations/papers:
This workshop provides an excellent opportunity to present your research
work and to hear international experts discuss innovative ways of
conducting qualitative data analysis using software. To be considered
for a presentation at the workshop, please download the abstract
template below (right click, save as) and send it to us for review.
 <http://www.merlien.org/images/stories/caqrkl2010/caqrkl2010.rtf>
http://www.merlien.org/images/stories/caqrkl2010/caqrkl2010.rtf .

There is also an option to publish your paper in the workshop
proceedings. Topics of interests include but not limited to:
>Choosing the right software for qualitative research projects
>Selecting appropriate software tool for different types of studies and
disciplines
>How to make use of software to enhance efficiency of doing qualitative
analysis
>Comparing major qualitative aoftware tools: strength and shortcomings
>How to demonstrate and report the use of software tools in studies?
>How to collaborate in teams using qualitative software tools?
>How to train students to use software tools effectively: ensuring
confidence and individual user needs
>How to develop good training material to ensure students progress
during lessons?

Advisory committee:
To enhance the quality of this workshop, experts in qualitative research
and software tools will be invited to review your abstract and provide
impartial feedback and suggestions to your research work during the
workshop.

Important deadlines:
The deadline for submitting an abstract for review is 1 Sep 2009. You
will be notified whether your abstract is accepted for a presentation at
the CAQR Asia 2010 workshop by 1 Nov 2009. Final submissions (including
revised abstract, papers, powerpoint slides, biography) will have to be
submitted by 5 Jan 2010.

Conference proceedings and journal publications:
All abstracts and accepted papers will be published in the conference
proceedings with an ISBN number. Selected papers will be considered for
publications with our journal partners, subject to the usual referee
processes applicable to the journals.