[ecrea] PhD studentships at UCF

Sat Jul 11 12:43:01 GMT 2009

PhD Studentships

Research at University College Falmouth is about ideas: generating them,
applying them, sharing them. Our emphasis is on practice-led and user-led
inquiry that is collaborative in nature and multidisciplinary in scope.

We now invite applications for 16 new studentships for doctoral study,
starting in October 2009, in areas that match our range of supervisory
expertise in Art, Media, Design and Performance and that will contribute to the
advancement of Cornwall?s knowledge economy.

In particular, and to coincide with our involvement in the Design Council?s
Designs of the Time initiative in Cornwall, we would welcome proposals in
aspects of user-centred design. Given our status as a national Skillset Media
Academy and our plans for a new Academy for Innovation & Research, we are
also particularly interested in questions around emerging media technologies,
sustainable design, arts and the environment, creative communities, industries
and networks.

We strongly recommend that applicants discuss potential proposals with one
of the following members of staff ­ all of whom are well-placed to refer
inquiries to the most appropriate colleague.

Design | Dr Katie Bunnell: (katie.bunnell /at/ falmouth.ac.uk)
Emerging media technologies Prof. Jason Whittaker:
(jason.whittaker /at/ falmouth.ac.uk)
Creative Communities | Dr Deborah Sugg Ryan:
(deborah.suggryan /at/ falmouth.ac.uk)
Arts and the environment | Dr Daro Montag: (daro.montag /at/ falmouth.ac.uk)
Performance | Dr John Hall: (j.hall /at/ dartington.ac.uk)

The three-year, full-time studentships cover all fees and include an annual
maintenance grant of £13,200. The successful applicants will be expected to
deliver up to 90 hours of undergraduate teaching or curriculum support per
year. Awards are payable in instalments on enrolment and continuation is
subject to satisfactory annual progression.

Applicants must have a strong academic background (2.i or higher, MA
preferred) with a clear and compelling proposal in relation to these research
strengths and the above priorities. Multi and trans-disciplinary proposals will
be particularly welcome.

You can find more information at http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/142/research-
15.html

Applications and questions should be addressed to:
Will Wears [(Will.Wears /at/ falmouth.ac.uk)]
Tel (01326) 213744
Bursary Adviser
University College Falmouth
Woodlane
Falmouth
Cornwall TR11 4RH.

Schedule
Deadline for receipt of applications is 28 August 2009
Interviews will be scheduled during the week of 7 September 2009
Enrolment will be on 1 October 2009.